Debating Windows 2016 virtual machine on Qnap Ts253a

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
90Ninety
Know my way around

Debating Windows 2016 virtual machine on Qnap Ts253a

Post by 90Ninety »

Currently I have installed a QNAP ts-253a for a client on a small business network ( 20-30 users) who are on a peer-to-peer network (work-group), which is being used as a file server. Also QVPN has been deployed ( openVPN) and have been fiddling with some virtual machines which work surprisingly well .

The client now requires a Windows server , as there are numerous concerns around security . Now I am debating the idea of running Server 2016 on a virtual machine. I am thinking of running Windows server 2016 on the Qnap Virtualization station versus the idea of having a separate spare 'bare metal' server

Currently the client requirements are quite low ; there just needs to be an AD DS , DC and DHCP , then around four group policies with 30 users . Further on I am thinking if the server requirements grow , I can export the appliance and migrate it to bear metal . Future requirements maybe needed such as file versioning and I am not quite sure the QNAP has the grunt to Host these current or future requirements . I like the idea running server as a virtual machine as it would be easier (portable , backed up, Qnap redundancy ) , more cost effective and use less space , noise and power .

I just wondered if any of you had experience running Windows server on the QNAP and could comment on its performance , perhaps it is a stupid idea ? Please let me know your reasons why I should or should not host the server as a virtual machine . I am really impressed how responsive the virutal machines have run thus far , so my instinct here is to give it a try at least .
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Debating Windows 2016 virtual machine on Qnap Ts253a

Post by dolbyman »

I would try win server core (no gui)...a little harder to setup (unless you do everything via powershell anyways) but should be less demanding for that little celeron in the qnap
90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety »

dolbyman wrote:I would try win server core (no gui)...a little harder to setup (unless you do everything via powershell anyways) but should be less demanding for that little celeron in the qnap
I can understand that from someone well versed with commands, though I have heard/read from people running server well on low end devices for basic tasks , even with GUI .

As long as there is not a glaring big red flag not to , I am going to give regular server a whirl .
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

My gut feel is that you are going to be under powered for an significant VM usage. One option would be to upgrade to a beefier QNAP such as the x82 or the new Ryzen x77's.

You could migrate your existing drives to the new unit, or use the existing TS-253a for backup/etc.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”