Data storage for server VMs - which way?

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
panto
Know my way around

Data storage for server VMs - which way?

Post by panto »

Hi, I’m looking at setting up a couple of servers on my TVS882 and would like to know what options I have available for data storage provision and their pros and cons. If I have a RAID1 SSD pool on which the VMs are stored and I wish to segregate database data, for instance, from the OS should I do that via an additional virtualised drive on the SSD (effectively a file), an iscsi target, a file share (OS may or may not like that and may have speed impacts despite network being virtual only), or some other solution?
Also, does iscsi require a not fully provisioned pool into which you are hard allocating storage space i.e. on the SSD I would soon run out of space by allocating iscsi targets?
I could trial and error this but would prefer to gain knowledge from experienced users. Thanks.
TS-439 Pro running Debian Stretch, TVS-882 running QTS.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Data storage for server VMs - which way?

Post by storageman »

Your question is vague.
What hypervisor are you talking about, Qnap VS or VMware ESXi/Hyper-V running on a separate server?
panto
Know my way around

Re: Data storage for server VMs - which way?

Post by panto »

Sorry, talking completely self contained within Virtualization Station on the NAS.Wondering if it is best to just keep it simple as and extra attached hard drive on the VM and hence file/folder representation on disk or are there advantages to going a different way? I’m guessing an iSCSI target would potentially have the advantage of being able to host the VM on a white box ESXi server in future and still accessing the same storage.
TS-439 Pro running Debian Stretch, TVS-882 running QTS.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”