Please help :( I'm at a loss and basically have my network down.

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
dastrix
Know my way around

Please help :( I'm at a loss and basically have my network down.

Post by dastrix »

Hi All

Im going to burn this thing to the ground. I'm over it. I dont get why this is so darn hard.

I have a QNAP 880 with 4 x 1GB and 2 x 10GB NICs.

I've installed pfSense. My HFC modem which provides my WAN IP is configured into a Cisco Catalyst switch on VLAN 100. Another port in this same VLAN plugs into E1 of the QNAP which I've assigned to a Layer 2 Bridge Virtual switch. The QNAP and pfsense see the WAN IP address allocated.

For the LAN, I have 1 x 1GB interface into VLAN1 (192.168.0.254/24) which is allocated as pfsense LAN and plugged into the Catalyst switch.

Internet is working, although its incredibly slow. Something is wrong with the way the LAN is configured I suspect. Potentially because of the use of 2 Virtual switches.

I suspect because its to do with having 2 interfaces in the LAN segment. The reason I need two , is the 10Gbit link from the NAS to the Switch forms part of another link to another switch. I want the QNAP E1 assigned to the WAN of pfsense (DHCP), the QNAP E2 to the LAN of pfsense (192.168.0.254), QNAP 10GBit to the LAN (192.168.0.9)

If I look at the pfsense host, it shows its interfaces are on the 10Gbit link. HOW!?

Why is this so harD?

Can someone please help :( im lost and have spent hours and hours to no avail

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leon.jehae
New here

Re: Please help :( I'm at a loss and basically have my network down.

Post by leon.jehae »

Just installed PfSense on my TVS872XT (2x1Gbe and 3x10Gbe) and installed my WAN-side on NIC1 (1Ggbe) and my LAN-side on NIC2 (1Gbe).
Everything works like i wanted but...........................as PfSense is even in the Virtualization Station Marketplace there bust be a logic reason to use PfSense virtual on a QNAP.

I mean, when you want to update the QNAP's firmware you need an internet connection right? But you need to reboot the NAS after (almost) every update, so you don't have access to the internet because PfSense is down before you update the firmware, otherwise the VM would be forced to shut down.?????????? I can't imagine that i am the only one who think of that so i must missing something here?

Best regards,
Léon
P3R
Guru

Re: Please help :( I'm at a loss and basically have my network down.

Post by P3R »

leon.jehae wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:16 am Just installed PfSense on my TVS872XT...
Please stop cross posting the same thing in multiple threads! Also, it's better create your own thread instead of posting in very distantly related old threads when you have a completely different question.

I have answered you in the other thread.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”