VLAN Tagging Virtual Interface

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
volvog
New here

Re: VLAN Tagging Virtual Interface

Post by volvog »

I'm having the same trouble. Running a TS977xu with QTS 5.0.1.2248. Want to run a pfSense in Virtualization Station. External network (FTTH) requires VLAN 10 for data (PPPoE) and VLAN 20 for VoIP. The PPPoE connection is up and running. Now I want to setup VoIP in LAN and a guest network (WiFi) on VLAN 99.
Just to check that I've understood the concept...
- I have to add each VLAN on the physical adapter in vSwitch?
- what about the untagged VLAN 1 (Management)? I assume that I don't have to add a VLAN on the adapter for this one?
- I have to setup a network "adapter" for each VLAN for pfSense VM in Virtualization Station? So, imaginary... 100 VLANs means 100 network adapters in Virtualization Station for pfSense VM...?
- I have to assign each network adapter of Virtualization Station in pfSense?
SnArL817
Starting out

Post by SnArL817 »

Nice to see that with the release of QTS 5.1, this is STILL BROKEN.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Did they reply to your ticket with a fix eta ?
eguitton
Starting out

Post by eguitton »

Network expert here (9 years XP)
today i decided my weekend didn't matter and logged on my (home usage) TS-h973AX (freshly updated to QTS Hero H5.1.1-2488) and decided to set up 4 vlans and needed virtual swicthes.
Goal is :
- main vswitch untagged (you can call it vlan 1) : NAS main ip, access to my LAN directly connected to my home router, with my home computers and so on
- vlan 33 : PXE vlan, should be accessed from my physical switch on untagged vlan 33 ports. I intend to host a linux-based VM PXE server on the NAS to quickly install windows 10-11 and linux Debian/Unbuntu/CentOs machines. (this will screw another weekend of mine in the future ^^). This vlan should only be able to access internet, and should be natted by a NAS vSwitch.
- vlan 44 : Lab vlan, should only be able to access internet through a natted NAS vSwitch (just like vlan 33 but without any PXE server)
- vlan 55 : Prod vlan, should be allowed to access internet and the default untagged local vlan (1). will host some VMs.
- vlan 99 : isolated vlan through physical interface 2, can only access untagged ports in vlan 99 of my physical switch, no internet no NAT no access to other vlans.

might in the future also add a work vlan for times i'm working from home, to access internet and be isolated from all the above vlans.

and... I'm horrified to see how vlans and vSwitches are working in QNAP. TF is this ?
no more access to untagged interface for vSwitches if vlan created ?
no 802.1q available on LACP interfaces ?
can't get the qFirewall to act as firewall in all vlans ?
Damn...

[EDIT : corrections. Also : if in 2 hours I can't get this mess to work correctly, I'll just change my actual switch with a full layer-3 switch and get all this working in less than an hour directly from the switch. Really not understanding why QNAP is doing all this mess.]
Just a random Data & Network tech guy.
ronald1368
New here

Post by ronald1368 »

Because of the odd behaviour of container station and internal network not being able to be customized and work bridged i abboned this al together and went back to mini pc with hyper-v and can do all the stuff there, use the nas only as nas and download station.
The raw docker appcroch would be much better , the QNAP implementation network wise just ** in my opinion.
t.moro
Getting the hang of things

Post by t.moro »

volvog wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:53 pm I'm having the same trouble. Running a TS977xu with QTS 5.0.1.2248. Want to run a pfSense in Virtualization Station. External network (FTTH) requires VLAN 10 for data (PPPoE) and VLAN 20 for VoIP. The PPPoE connection is up and running. Now I want to setup VoIP in LAN and a guest network (WiFi) on VLAN 99.
Just to check that I've understood the concept...
- I have to add each VLAN on the physical adapter in vSwitch?
- what about the untagged VLAN 1 (Management)? I assume that I don't have to add a VLAN on the adapter for this one?
- I have to setup a network "adapter" for each VLAN for pfSense VM in Virtualization Station? So, imaginary... 100 VLANs means 100 network adapters in Virtualization Station for pfSense VM...?
- I have to assign each network adapter of Virtualization Station in pfSense?
I’ve the same problem on a qgd1602 with pfsense virtualized on it and I can’t find a solution.

LAN interface is linked on port5 of the host and set with vlan1, 10 and 20. These vlans works correctly, in the switch vlan settings I set host port 5 tagged for vlan10 and 20.
On wan side, connected to host port 2 (a 5gbs port) there is the isp router that serve voip on vlan 836 and data on vlan 835.
I would like to set the connection with a pppoe and leave the voip on the router but how to set vlans on host ports 1 and 2?
I would not sacrifice one switch port or there’s not any other option? How did you set your pppoe?

To respond at your question, on the vm settings I’ve only one lan card (set as virtIO interface) and I set vlans inside pfsense.

Why I can’t do the same on host ports1-4???

Thanks

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”