QTS hero / HA / FC

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
yellowapple
Getting the hang of things

QTS hero / HA / FC

Post by yellowapple »

Hi,

I'm using virtualization station for a long time and I'm now confident to go further and use QNAP in replacement of ESXi/Synology.
In two central systems, I'll then centralise data but also all virtual machines. One of the added value is GPU passthrough which mean that I can also send KVM controls over the network. I'm using that solution for a long time with multicast 4K devices to transport dual displays control workstations over the network.

The choosen devices are TS-H1277xu with 128GB of memory, SSD/SATA and two GPUs per server. All systems will be virtualized and will be splitted on both TS but I'm looking for a HA solution.

VS/GPUs are particularly stable but I'm more afraid of firmware upgrades which means that I would need at minima a stable synchronisation process.
Is there any improvement in QNAP clustering ? Distributed switches in virtualization station ? Vmotion ?

Thank you
Ya
QNAP TS-h1277-xu-rp, 64GB RAM SSD + SATA - 2 * MSI GPU
QNAP TBS-453a, 16 BG RAM, 1TB M2
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: QTS hero / HA / FC

Post by Trexx »

While the latest VS options support VM migration between hosts, I don't believe that GPU passthrough is supported in that configuration.

For the features you are looking for (distributed switching, vmotion, etc.), staying with VMware is really your best bet. While QNAP has made progress in what they are able to do with VS, it is really not in the same league as VMWare's enterprise-class products.

Also for mission-critical usage, I would be looking at QuTS Hero hosts that support ECC memory, redundant power supplies, etc. at a minimum.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yeah .. dont subsitute a type 1 hv for a type 2
yellowapple
Getting the hang of things

Post by yellowapple »

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the update, for the moment I do not need DS or Vmotion and QNAP VS is definitively not in the same league but the price is not comparable !
2021/2022 will budget cut for sure and I must take into account current and future needs, physical limitations and knowledge in the team. The QNAP solution will be a third of the price, half rack and technically much more accessible. Of course if my client is telling me that I can get a 100k budget tomorrow to play with virtualization, choices will be different.

VM migration is working fine if you disable GPU's.

Regards
Laurent
QNAP TS-h1277-xu-rp, 64GB RAM SSD + SATA - 2 * MSI GPU
QNAP TBS-453a, 16 BG RAM, 1TB M2

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”