Windows Server 2019 on a Virtual Machine using link aggregation?

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
Knosenville2
Starting out

Windows Server 2019 on a Virtual Machine using link aggregation?

Post by Knosenville2 »

Hi,
I have a QNAP TS-653D-8G where I want to install Windows Server Standard 2019 and also Microsoft SQL Server Express on a Virtual Machine using Virtualization Station to set it up.
The Windows Server installation on the NAS is planned to be used for SolidWorks PDM Standard (Product Data Management) for the 3D CAD system of SolidWorks Premium and for rational backups of CAD files.
Since I also have a Netgear MS510TXPP Smart Managed Switch I want to use the 2.5GB ports on the NAS and switch for Link aggregation (LACP) and it should work fine for ordinary use, according to information from QNAP and Netgear. I bought this switch mostly because of this possibility.
I thought that it wouldn't be any problem with this, but I watched the YouTube movie about setting up Windows Server 2016 on a Virtual Machine using Virtualization Station and here it's stated that it isn't possible to use link aggregation for this installation.
Please see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73podQlom9Y

I wonder if it's possible to use the link aggregation for this installation anyway in some way?
I beleive it's an advantage to use link aggregation with the NAS and switch, but now it seems impossible to use it together with a VM installation of Windows Server 2019?
If it's possible to configure the installation somehow for problem free use it would be awesome!

Maybe there are instructions about how to set up the NAS and the VM for Windows Server using link aggregation somewhere? I have searched a lot for it, but can't find any.

If it's not possible, sadly I have to drop my ambitions about the link aggregation.

I'm very grateful for all useful information and support about it!
Unfortunately I'm not an expert about these kind of installations, so I will appriciate if the information and instructions are simple and easy understandable!
My programming skills are not good either.
I'm a Mechanical Engineer/Designer and not a IT Pro.

Best Regards!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Windows Server 2019 on a Virtual Machine using link aggregation?

Post by dolbyman »

Why would you want LACP ? My guess is that Celeron CPU is barely enough to supply 1GbE out of a Server 2019 VM, let alone 2.5GbE or more.

If you want to use both Ethernet ports you can dedicate a single port for the VM (instead of bridging) and use the other for NAS

Also please do not post a topic more than once
Knosenville2
Starting out

Post by Knosenville2 »

Thanks for your reply and info, Dolbyman!

I thought that link aggregation is advantageus for several uses, since QNAP and others recommends it and specially LACP if one have a managed switch and why not use it when both the switch and NAS supports it?
I haven't seen any info about that the Celeron processor should have problems about it. The NAS has 8 GB RAM and 2 x 500 GB WD Red SA500 SSD M.2 cache (RAID1) together with the 6 Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB (RAID6). Shouldn't this be enough for 1 VM with Windows Server Standard 2019?

Unfortunately I don't know about "bridging" which you writes about.
Is "bridging" the same thing as "link aggregation"? There are a lot of designations about networking.
I checked about it but didn't find any satisfying info about it.

So you mean that it's stupid and disadvantegous to use the "LACP link aggregation" or some other "link aggregation" variant with this VM application, even if it's possible?
Is it possible to use it together with the Windows Server installation on the NAS? Do you know about it?
I'm very interested to find info about how to configure it if it's possible. If it doesn't work so good and the NAS will have problems about managing it, I can skip it and do it the YouTube video way which I attached the link for.

I wrote this post at 2 different places because I thought the chance for useful info about how to solve my problem should be greater.
Maybe some skilled users would miss it if it's only at one place, since it's a rather unusual topic, I beleive.
If it's not permitted I will not do it again. I haven't found/seen any info about it.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

It not about RAM or HDDs used (even though VMs should be stored on high I/O SSD storage) it's about the processor.

I am not saying server 2019 will not run, but the performance will not be enough for you to worry about any fast network connection.

Why dont you just try it out ?

And posting multiple times makes no sense..why would you want multiple reply streams ?( The other posting was delete already)
Knosenville2
Starting out

Post by Knosenville2 »

Hi again, Dolbyman,
Thanks again for your info and support!

Since I'm not so skilled and have experience about advanced configurations of networks and VM-s, I'm searching for information and support like documents, YouTube videos or information from skilled persons with experience about this that can advice/instruct me about how to set up "link aggregation" together with Windows Server Standard 2019 on a VM. Maybe somebody that have knowledge about it can inform me if it's possible or not? If it's not possible I think it's a waste of time to experiment with it. Like I wrote before I'm not so skilled with this. I have a lot of other things to spend my time with, since I'm starting up a small CAD-engineering/design business.

I bought the NAS and switch mainly for the possibility to use Windows Server on a VM and also SolidWorks PDM Standard (Product Data Management) together with this and using this setup for rational backups of CAD files and also be able to connect to it from a remote connection/location. I thought that the "link aggregation" should be advantegeous to use since the NAS and switch supports it.
This is the main topic for me and why I'm spending time with writing about it here!

You write about speed and the processor and I'm grateful for all info that are related to the problem, but a simple answer if it's possible to use the "link aggregation" or not is very valuable for me. And if it's possible, how shall I configure it?

Unfortunately nobody else have commented about it here, so it seems to be a rare topic. Maybe somebody will, I hope!
That's why I wanted to have it in the "Users Corner" also. Now when it's deleted there the chances are less that skilled users/persons shall notice and comment about this topic, I beleive.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”