Support for SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation on QNAP TS-439Pro

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
QNAPDavid
QNAP Staff

Re: Support for SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation on QNAP TS-439Pro

Post by QNAPDavid »

eldonli wrote:Just received and upgraded the ISCSI-3 PR ready Alpha firmware to my company TS-439Pro, so far installation of cluster is work (passed the validation test and disk failover is successful), need more times to test the CSV is working fine or not

Thanks
Eldon
Glad to hear that! If you have found any problem, pls don't hesitate to tell us.
You can post your problems here or PM QNAPJauss and QNAPDavid
Enjoy it!

QNAPDavid
QNAP David Tsao
dharders
Starting out

Post by dharders »

Hi,

Yesterday upgraded my QNAP TS439 Pro to the new Alpha firmware with SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation. I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Hyper-V role enbaled and with Failover Clustering with Cluster Shared Volumes. All test passed for the cluster validation. YEAH!. So now i'm running a 2-node Hyper-V Cluster. Let the testing begin.

My QNAP has 2 ISCSI target disks where 2 Virtual Machines are running on. On the QNAP i'm running EXT4 on 4 x 1TB (samsung spinpoint) disk in RAID 5. Creating fixed disks does take a while. It always does in Hyper-V but now somewhat longer.. Could this be an EXT4 problem?

I attached an image of my test environment.

QNAPDavid
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPDavid »

dharders wrote:Hi,

Yesterday upgraded my QNAP TS439 Pro to the new Alpha firmware with SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation. I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Hyper-V role enbaled and with Failover Clustering with Cluster Shared Volumes. All test passed for the cluster validation. YEAH!. So now i'm running a 2-node Hyper-V Cluster. Let the testing begin.

My QNAP has 2 ISCSI target disks where 2 Virtual Machines are running on. On the QNAP i'm running EXT4 on 4 x 1TB (samsung spinpoint) disk in RAID 5. Creating fixed disks does take a while. It always does in Hyper-V but now somewhat longer.. Could this be an EXT4 problem?
Hi dharders:
Thanks for your feedbak. I would like to know how long it took for creating fiexed disks before and now.
I will mention the situation to our developers.

BR,

QNAPDavid
Last edited by QNAPDavid on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
QNAP David Tsao
dharders
Starting out

Post by dharders »

Hi QD,

From one of my hyper-v hosts I did the following:
  • created a local disk on raid 0 with a fixed size of 40GB. So every bit is filled.
  • created a SAN disk on my ClusterStorage mount point so actually placing it directly on the QNAP.(C:\ClusterStorage)
The local disk took about 5 mnutes and 20 seconds
The disk on the QNAP took 10 minutes and 25 seconds.

I know there is difference between RAID 0 and RAID 5 but my local RAID controller is an ICH10R onboard controller with much less buffer the the QNAP.

Hope this Helps.
volkeregenberger
New here

Post by volkeregenberger »

Hi all,

is there also a beta firmware for the 809U-RP so I can test it with my HYPER-V 2008 R2 machines?

Best wishes,

Volker
svingen
First post

Post by svingen »

any news regards this flash?
i want to buy a ts-439pro but not before vmotion on hyper-v is workin stable on this boks :)
rinthos
Been there, done that

Post by rinthos »

The supporting firmware has been posted in the beta firmware threads for the x39 and x09 models.
Version 3.2.0 1107T beta.
---
fermin
New here

Re: Support for SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation on QNAP TS-439

Post by fermin »

eldonli wrote:Just received and upgraded the ISCSI-3 PR ready Alpha firmware to my company TS-439Pro, so far installation of cluster is work (passed the validation test and disk failover is successful), need more times to test the CSV is working fine or not

Thanks
Eldon
Have you been able to test CSV? What happens when you change the owner of a CSV LUN from one host to another?

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”