TS-410 & VMware vSphere

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
andymcm
New here

TS-410 & VMware vSphere

Post by andymcm »

Been considering getting a TS-410, has anyone else got one of these working with VMware vSphere ESXi?

Am very keen on using it for iSCSI, look forward to hear from anyone.

Andy.
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Re: TS-410 & VMware vSphere

Post by QNAPIvan »

The iSCSI on TS-410 and the ARM based models can work with VMWare, but not for the clustering setup.
We are working on the enhancement of the SPC-3 support for the Intel-based products.
That will be available by firmware update.

Best regards,
Ivan
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
andymcm
New here

Post by andymcm »

Hi Ivan

Thanks for getting back to me on this one.

Could you confirm a couple things then for me please:

1) When you say "clustering setup", do you mean clustered TS-410's or do you mean using two or more ESX hosts attaching to a TS-410?
2) The TS-410 is ARM based? so that means that it will not get SPC-3 SCSI support?

Much appreciate help.

Cheers
A.
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear andymcm:
Hello, to answer your concerns:
1) clustering means the VM-cluster(servers) on the VMWare vSphere setup. Not clustering of the NAS.
2) Yes. TS-410 is ARM based (Marvell 6281) designed for home. Currently we don't have plan to support the SPC-3 for TS-x10 and TX-x19's iSCSI target.

Cheers,
Ivan
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
drollond
Starting out

Post by drollond »

I have a TS-410 and found iSCSI was constantly causing issues and not that fast.
I moved to NFS and find the unit solid. Max up time so far is 62 days over the last 6 months. All but one restart was due to external factors (power etc)
I run 30 VM's on it (XP mainly)
I also use the cheapest 2TB Segate drives on the HCL in RAID 5. My host is a single HP DL380 8 cores and 56GB RAM.

Its slow but once the VM's are up its not so bad. It was never designed to be this way its mainly a proof of concept to see how much we can throw at the base model. issues we have with it is any kind of large IO (migrating a VM, backup or some kind of large file transfer) kills the units and the VM,s suffer badly. For a few users who can organised to use the units at different times to when you are doing these large IO's its OK. Unfortunately on this one its also a file store for ISO's, images and a backup target so it gets hammered constantly.

I will be in the market for another QNAP and migrate my VM's there. For the price I am very impressed.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”