Thin Provisioning with ESXi

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
niemipet
New here

Thin Provisioning with ESXi

Post by niemipet »

I am about to move from my current VMware Server 2.0 environment to ESXi 4.0 by using QNAP TS-439 NAS'es as a virtual machine storage. Since I need to backup the virtual machines by a conventional way, I cannot use iSCSI, because ESXi only supports VSFS-3 at iSCSI. So the best solution would be using NFS.

However, I ran into another problem... Even ESXi and NFS support virtual machine Thin Provisioning, the QNAP TS-439 does not. So if I use QNAP's NFS, my 1TB Thin Provisioned virtual machines will turn into 4TB Thick Provisioned ones...and the backuping in certain timeframes will come impossible.

So what to do? How do I can use QNAP NAS'es as a storage for ESXi, with the requirement of Thin Provisioning the virtual machines???

Would using a Windows NFS-server inbetbeen help???
QNAPDavid
QNAP Staff

Re: Thin Provisioning with ESXi

Post by QNAPDavid »

Hi niemipet:
pls refer the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.
https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=converter
see if it works for you.

Cheers.

David Tsao
QNAP David Tsao
niemipet
New here

Post by niemipet »

Thanks David, but that does not help since problem is with QNAP's way to handle NFS, not with VMware. The virtual machines are already Thin Provisioned, but when they are transferred to QNAP's NFS the QNAP will fully provision the images - even they are still Thin Provisioned by the VMware. So VMware shows the images to be 50GB, but QNAP shows 500GB - so the backup will also be 500GB :(

I know that tons of expensier Cisco will work with NFS and Thin Provisioning, but I prefer QNAP better in every other aspect. This problem occurs because QNAP's way to handle NFS and EXT3/4 and I suspect that it can be fixed...
QNAPDavid
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPDavid »

Hi niemipet:
I would like to know how do you move those VMs from VMware Server 2.0 to ESXi?
Copy them directly or useing other method?

BR,

David Tsao
QNAP David Tsao
QNAPDavid
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPDavid »

Hi niemipet:
Would you pls provide the following screen captures of your vSphere client?
1. In the vSphere client, right click the virtual machine->Edit Settings->Disk. Capture this dialog box.
pic1.png
2. Browe the datastore where you stored the vmdk file.
pic2.png
In my case, you would find the size of my thin-provisioning disk is 8GB but the actual size is around 3.2GB.
Cheers.

David Tsao
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP David Tsao
tugender
First post

Post by tugender »

Has there been any further follow-up on this thin provisioning issue? I'm having the same problem reported by niemipet, that virtual disks (.vmdk's) thin-provisioned in ESXi 4 are being allocated the full disk space with NFS on my TS-439 Pro just as though they had been thick-provisioned. Further interesting is that I also have stored VMs created by VMware Server and VMware Workstation on a different share on the TS-439 and their thin-provisioned .vmdk's are properly thin. At this point I don't know if the reason is the file-sharing discipline (VMS and VMW are both using SMB/CIFS rather than NFS) or the different file engine of ESXi. But I certainly want my ESXi thin-provisioned disks to be stored that way on the QNAP!

Is this a known issue or a configuration subtlety?
If the latter, what configuration tweaks are needed to make ESXi thin-provisioning work properly?
Will the upcoming beta firmware release improve the situation?
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

niemipet wrote:I am about to move from my current VMware Server 2.0 environment to ESXi 4.0 by using QNAP TS-439 NAS'es as a virtual machine storage. Since I need to backup the virtual machines by a conventional way, I cannot use iSCSI, because ESXi only supports VSFS-3 at iSCSI. So the best solution would be using NFS.

However, I ran into another problem... Even ESXi and NFS support virtual machine Thin Provisioning, the QNAP TS-439 does not. So if I use QNAP's NFS, my 1TB Thin Provisioned virtual machines will turn into 4TB Thick Provisioned ones...and the backuping in certain timeframes will come impossible.

So what to do? How do I can use QNAP NAS'es as a storage for ESXi, with the requirement of Thin Provisioning the virtual machines???

Would using a Windows NFS-server inbetbeen help???
Have you thin provisioned with the following command?
vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/test-vm/test-vm.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/test-vm/testvm-thin.vmdk -d 'thin' -a lsilogic

Then do an ls -lsh or vdf -h (better)

NFS on QNAP should not be the issue as long they have not modified the FS to stick their NAS :shock:
kswail
Starting out

Post by kswail »

Don't worry, while the QNAP shows the vmdks as fully allocated via SMB or even when using "ls", that space isnt really being consumed..

Too see the "real" usage of these files, instead use the "du -h" command, and the output from that will match what VMware is telling you,.

You also get the "real" usage via the QNAP admin interface in the resource monitor.
Cheers.

kswail

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”