What is the max of VMs per Qnap?

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
romeo
New here

What is the max of VMs per Qnap?

Post by romeo »

Hey,

Im interesed to know if anyone (QNap?) has made any benchmarks for QNap servers.

Our environment today consist of two 809-RP-U machines with 4x300GB Velociraptor discs for each LUN, I have three LUNs now.

Servers i have:
- Two blackboxes with today only two VMs per box. 8GBRam and a 4 core CPU
- 3 DL360 G5 with 32GB ram and 4core CPU.
Srv1: 8 VMs
Srv2: 7 VMs
Srv3: 9 VMs

So a total of 28 VMS running on three LUNs.

The QNaps are connected thru load balanced 1GBit switches on the same VLAN as the DL360 servers.

Today everything seems to be working really well, the servers are quite loaded, 80% overall.

QUESTION:
1. How many servers could I have?
2. How much does one VM actually take? What is transferred between the server and NAS while booting and working on it?
offerlam
Starting out

Re: What is the max of VMs per Qnap?

Post by offerlam »

I too am intrestet ind this?

But any benshmarks would be appriciated for all models :) if possible
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Post by PiroNet »

romeo wrote:Hey,

Im interesed to know if anyone (QNap?) has made any benchmarks for QNap servers.

Our environment today consist of two 809-RP-U machines with 4x300GB Velociraptor discs for each LUN, I have three LUNs now.

Servers i have:
- Two blackboxes with today only two VMs per box. 8GBRam and a 4 core CPU
- 3 DL360 G5 with 32GB ram and 4core CPU.
Srv1: 8 VMs
Srv2: 7 VMs
Srv3: 9 VMs

So a total of 28 VMS running on three LUNs.

The QNaps are connected thru load balanced 1GBit switches on the same VLAN as the DL360 servers.

Today everything seems to be working really well, the servers are quite loaded, 80% overall.

QUESTION:
1. How many servers could I have?
2. How much does one VM actually take? What is transferred between the server and NAS while booting and working on it?
Hi Romeo,
>1. How many servers could I have?
It depends on the load those VMs put on the storage, that is the IOPS generated per VM, any idea? Look at ESXTOP for that.
Second you need to know what's your storage setup is able to supply in terms of IOPS too.
A proper benchmark of your storage should have be done before putting anything on it to give you a fair value of what the storage is able to cope with.
BTW what level of RAID do you use?

>2. How much does one VM actually take? What is transferred between the server and NAS while booting and working on it?
You should look at ESXTOP or the performance tab of you ESX(i) hosts
Another option, use free tools like VKernel StorageVIEW, VKernel Capacity Analyzer and VKernel AppVIEW.

>The QNaps are connected thru load balanced 1GBit switches on the same VLAN as the DL360 servers.
Make sure the iSCSI setup is following VMware best practices, for instance make sure you're using round robin and you have properly setup multipathing.
Read more one of my posts at http://deinoscloud.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... e-binding/

Also do not hesitate to team up NICs for higher throughput and fault tolerant!

Rgds,
Didier
romeo
New here

Post by romeo »

Hey,

Thanks for your answer. Should perhaps have done that before the implementation, but does anyone have any rough figures, are we talking about 200-300 VMs or 30-40 VMs?
Like how much does a VM take of bandwidth for only the OS stuff?
I have the bindings, i have two pNics at hard 1000Mbit/s (cause thats been noticeably better performance then setting at Auto), then I have two pNics to another vSwitch for all my VLANs. Each going to a seperate physical switch

The ServiceConsole (Vmware) and the QNap are on the same VLAN. I have not clustered the ports on the Qnap for higher performance since I got alot of ping timeouts that way.

I´ve actually got a new DL165 G7 with 8 Core processor and 40GB ram and a new Disaster Recovery Qnap 459-RP but with "slow" discs since I wanted alot of space. But that could give me a small point in the right direction.

How should I translate the ESXTOP ? Didnt say me much, looked more like task mgr but which vaules should be monitored? And how can I peek it to the max?

Thanks for your help

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”