What setting to use to setup qnap as veeam backup repository

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
d.lansinklesscher
New here

Re: What setting to use to setup qnap as veeam backup reposi

Post by d.lansinklesscher »

Hallo fbuenemann,

Did you somehow manage to add that code to the qpkg or is it still a seperate script?
vanbeek
Starting out

Re: What setting to use to setup qnap as veeam backup repository

Post by vanbeek »

Ok, back with an update.

I just updated my qnap TS439IIPro to firmware 4.1.4, and to get it back working i had to do some extra stuff.

After the update veeam gave me the following error when connecting to the qnap as a repository "Error: Server does not support diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 for keyexchange"

I enabled the app/development/perl.

and veeam expects a cipher and authentication method from ssh that is not enabled by default anymore.

So i copied the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to /share/Config

Code: Select all

cp /etc/ssh/sshd_config /share/Config/sshd_config
and added the following lines to the bottom of that file

# Ciphers and keyrings
Ciphers aes128-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-gcm@openssh.com,aes256-gcm@openssh.com,chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com
KexAlgorithms diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1
To make this change permanent i added, a copy instruction to the veeamstartup.sh script to make this change permanent.
my veeamstartup now looks like:

I A  veeamstartup.sh (sh)                                                                                                                                                                      Row 1    Col 1    3:39  Ctrl-K H for help
#!/bin/sh
test -x /opt/bin/perl && ln -nfs /opt/bin/perl /usr/bin/
test -x /opt/bin/df && ln -nfs /opt/bin/df /bin/
if [ ! -L /var/log/VeeamBackup ]; then
 mkdir -p /share/MD0_DATA/VeeamBackup
 rm -rf /var/log/VeeamBackup
 ln -s /share/MD0_DATA/VeeamBackup /var/log/
fi
# SSH Config
cp /share/Config/sshd_config /etc/ssh/sshd_config
/etc/init.d/login.sh stop
/etc/init.d/login.sh start
while cat /proc/mounts | grep -q gphotofs; do
 umount /share/external/UHCI\ Host\ Controller
 done
exit 0
FYI: /etc/init.d/login.sh restart didnt work for some reason, stoping and starting seperatly did the trick

hope this helps if any body runs in this problem too.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

vanbeek wrote:After the update veeam gave me the following error when connecting to the qnap as a repository "Error: Server does not support diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 for keyexchange"
You better talk to the Veaaaaaam makers... Re-enabling diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 on OpenSSH must be considered insecure. OpenSSH does make use of fixed primes (sigh, yeah...), so does the 1024-bit Oakley Group 2 - hope you get the point and we don't have to elaborate this in more details.

As QNAP can't force all clients to use elliptic-curve Diffie-Hellmann only, they have to continue to support non-elliptic-curve Diffie-Hellman - the very least approach is to disable Group 1 support, by removing the diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 Key Exchange.

The work-around is nice - but discouraged.

Regards,
-Kurt.
barkster
Starting out

Post by barkster »

is there an easier fix?
George of the Jungle
New here

Post by George of the Jungle »

I am now working on this little issue. Problem is I am running ver 4.2 and of course Optware is depreciated. I installed Entware as was suggested. Which was no easy task since you have to find it on the qnap web site because it is not listed in the apps app.

Anyway after installing Entware ipkg returns "command not found." I purchased two of these for a client and also got ** into the "works great with Veeam" advertising. I was using Western Digital as their NAS boxes ran Windows Storage Server and worked nicely with the Veeam proxy agent.

This is for a smaller client so they probably won't notice the difference if I just do SMB. However, I would like to get to the bottom of this because if I can't make it work here then I will have to try another brand next time for future clients.

Any suggestions?
George of the Jungle
New here

Post by George of the Jungle »

Okay I figured out it is now the opkg command. However none of these packages could be found.

opkg install module-init-tools
opkg install openssl-dev
opkg install perl-doc
opkg install perl-crypt-ssleay
opkg install perl-compress-zlib
opkg install perl-libxml
opkg install e2fslibs-dev
It is madding they don't have this set up to actually work with Veeam like it is supposed to.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

it entware-nt you probably need
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
planetbrian
New here

Post by planetbrian »

Hi all,

What is the latest update on this issue? I am needing to backup my Windows server to my Qnap. I have not bought a backup software yet, but I was thinking Veeam. I am not a programmer so a package would be great. If there is a cost for the package I will pay, but I just need to get this implemented effectively. If not Veeam is there a better backup program? How about Shadowprotect? Or.....?

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”