QNAP not responding to Windows RPC on port 135

Questions about using Windows AD service.
MatsW
Starting out

QNAP not responding to Windows RPC on port 135

Post by MatsW »

For years my SBS 2011 has been plagued by tons of "Event 10009" in the event log pointing to my domain attached QNAP-419P+. But just recently I came across this article https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/asiate ... tem-event/
According to this article the error is caused by local SCM COM activator (RPCSS service) isn't available. And telnet to port 135 fails indicating that this port for some reason is blocked. But I can't find any information on qnap.com whether this service is supposed to be available or not. Does anyone have a clue whether SCM COM activator service exists or not?
Best regards

Mats
NoName
Getting the hang of things

Re: QNAP not responding to Windows RPC on port 135

Post by NoName »

It depends on your setup. Your Windows client will try to connect to port 135 to the domain controller, so if you set up the QNAP to act as a Windows domain controller you might expect port 135 to be available, otherwise not.

So did you set up a SAMBA server to act as Windows domain controller and your workstation is a domain member?

Regards
Harald
MatsW
Starting out

Post by MatsW »

It's not in the clients (Win7, WIn10) where I see these logs. It's in my SBS2011 (SmallBusinessServer 2011 based on Windows Server 2008 R2) which is the domain controller. The QNAP is setup to be a domain member using Active Directory for access authentication (Privileges/Domain Security). I have no Samba server installed.

If I try to telnet one of my Windows clients on port 135 (as suggested by MS article), then it works which means that it seems like domain clients should have port 135 open to respond to RPCSS requests. Which in turn implies that QNAP should also respond to RPCSS requests on port 135 if it is a domain member, and even if it isn't a domain controller.

Searching the QNAP forum for "DCOM 10009" reveals that there a quite a few QNAP users who has this problem, so finding the root to this would surely make a lot of people happy
Best regards

Mats
ammdoppleb
New here

Post by ammdoppleb »

Hi at all,

we had the same Problem on our SBS2011 with an QNAP NAS!
But i found a Solution to fix the Problem --> now the DCOM Event ID 10009 didn´t appear any more :)

Please note that the Language of our QNAS OS is German, but i think with the Screenshot all People can find the Settings for their corresponding OS Language

- Systemsteuerungen
- Netzwerk- und Dateiservices
- Telnet / SSH
- Telnet-Verbindung zulassen
- Port von 13131 auf 135 ändern
QNAP.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

@ammodoppldepp why did you disable ssh on you device?
ammdoppleb
New here

Post by ammdoppleb »

Hi dolbyman,
i disabled all not required Services. So at the firs Setup of my QNAP-NAS is disabled the Telnet too :)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

always leave ssh open for local connections...that is the only way to access your nas, if the webfrontend decides to quit on you (for whatever reason)
ammdoppleb
New here

Post by ammdoppleb »

Hi Dolbyman,
oh ok that´s good to know. Thank you very much for the Tip :)
MatsW
Starting out

Post by MatsW »

Hi ammdoppleb,
Just enabled Telnet on 135 in QNAP, now the logs are gone after all these years. Thanks a million! Hope that QNAP engineers sees this and takes appropriate actions, like enables Telnet on 135 when the QNAP is attached to a domain.
Best regards

Mats
ammdoppleb
New here

Post by ammdoppleb »

Hi Mats,

very fine that your Error logs now away after all the years.
I am really pleased that my posted helps you - and i hope many People more with the same Problem :)

Best Regards ... Falk

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”