Multiple clients on one qnap?

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Don
Guru

Re: Multiple clients on one qnap?

Post by Don »

The only way I can think of is to set up the NAS as a standalone server. Then create the IDs on the NAS for the users you want to have access and assign permissions to the shares you create.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Qnaps are intended for a single organization.

The only acceptable way I see to use them shared between different customers would be to use one virtual NAS (vQTS) instance for each customer. The risk for administrative mistakes and other problems is simply too high with different customers mixed in the same logical system.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
AndyO
First post

Post by AndyO »

Did anyone come up with an answer to this? I am looking at moving all my users to a new domain but want to spread it out not big bang but find it hard to connect to the shares on the qnap from the new domain
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

AndyO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:00 am Did anyone come up with an answer to this? I am looking at moving all my users to a new domain but want to spread it out not big bang but find it hard to connect to the shares on the qnap from the new domain
Ok .. gotcha so far
AndyO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:00 am but want to spread it out not big bang but find it hard to connect to the shares on the qnap from the new domain
spread it out? big bang ?

what is hard ? any specific errors when you joined the QNAP to the new AD (besides missing vital info like QTS model, firmware,etc)

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”