Setting Domain Controller failed

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Otarie19
New here

Setting Domain Controller failed

Post by Otarie19 »

Hello everyone,

I have a TS-673 QNAP NAS and a server running on Windows Server 2012 that only serves as Active Directory.

I am able to connect the NAS to the Active Directory (Active Directory Authentication) and manage groups and users rights.

But if the server falls (server located on another site), then users no longer have access to the NAS (even locally users).

In brief, I would have liked to set the NAS as a read-only domain controller (to take over when the server falls), but I have always the following error: "Setting Domain Controller failed".
The server’s domain controller is not read-only (RWDC, not RODC), and the NAS does have access to the server...

Do you have any idea?

I was thinking that maybe the fact that the NAS administrator is a local account could block the process, because only Active Directory accounts would have access to the NAS after activating read-only on the domain controller, right?

Thanks in advance!
Otarie19
New here

Re: Setting Domain Controller failed

Post by Otarie19 »

Sorry for the subject title, there is an other subject with the same name, but I think it wasn't the same issue, and I am not able to change the title...
Mumbik
New here

Re: Setting Domain Controller failed

Post by Mumbik »

Otarie19 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:38 pm I was thinking that maybe the fact that the NAS administrator is a local account could block the process, because only Active Directory accounts would have access to the NAS after activating read-only on the domain controller, right?
That's where you're right, so that's where you should start.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”