Joining QNAP Nas to AD fails (Event ID's: 307 & 304)

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Porky
New here

Joining QNAP Nas to AD fails (Event ID's: 307 & 304)

Post by Porky »

Hi *,
Recently I got hit by Ransomware and fortunately was saved by my QNAP where I had stored my data.
Nevertheless, I still needed to rebuild part of my environment again. And this included a new second Windows 2019 domain controller (DC).
After the Domain was stabilised, I had problems reaching my QNAP data on a TVS-673. So I removed the account from the AD & reinitialised the wizard.
I have rerun the Domain Join Wizard a number of times however just before it completes ....after waiting about 5 minutes it fails.
The NAS time is synchronised with that of the DC, the NAS can see both DC's.
The NAS is registered in the DNS & I am able to ping it from my client.
To retain security I have enabled SMB2.1 and above.
On the NAS I am running firmware version 5.0.0.2055.

In the DC event logs Event Error 307:
Automatic registration failed. Failed to lookup the registration service information from Active Directory. Exit code: Unknown HResult Error code: 0x801c001d. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=623042
is followed by Event Error 304:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=35621

Performing the task using the manual button:
http://forum.qnap.com/download/file.php ... w&id=35620
does not change the result either.

As a simple windows user, the process for me in intransparent, i.e. what is behind the wizard communications with the Domain Controller in order to register the account. Since everything is very much under the hood, it becomes even more time consuming to get to the bottom of the problem and the QNAP logging messages are very brief, i.e
[Domain Security] Failed to join domain. Verify Active Directory domain settings.

Which although is not inaccurate, it certainly leaves plenty of room for everything.

Can someone that knows how this works tell me where I need to tweak either on the Domain Controller or QNAP?

Looking forward to a solution,
Porky
If life was just black & white, we'd probably all be unemployed :wink:
Porky
New here

Re: Joining QNAP Nas to AD fails (Event ID's: 307 & 304)

Post by Porky »

Hi Guys,
Well I'm glad that I had this problem open for a few days although nobody could come back to me with a solution.
When viewing over this forum's thread, this problem is repeatedly being brought up... however, with no satisfactory solution.

For those of you that read this, I have now discovered a work around, which could eventually lead to a general solution.
Since my AD Users must have access to the QNAP is important that I resolved the problem. As a final measure I decided to take the plunge and reset the QNAP.
On my system this is found under : Control Panel > System > Backup Restore and then select the 'Restore to Factory Default' tab.
Here there are 3 buttons presented and care should be taken to make sure correct one is selected.
Reading the 'Restore to Factory Default' makes it clear the 'Reset Settings' button is the least damaging (as shown in the screen shot)download/file.php?mode=view&id=35684

Note: The 'Reset Settings' button clears all user accounts & groups. So it is necessary to recreate them afterwards and apply access permissions back on the filesystem.
The 'Reset Settings' button obviously cleared some file that was preventing the QNAP from re-registering with the AD.

So, here's a little task for the QNAP developers : to identify the offending data file that prevents AD reconnect to perform reliably and consistently every time.
If the Reset button got rid of it, then it must be identifiable.

For those of you who are not developers, then the 'Reset Settings' button, is the work-a-round that you may be seeking!
Of course, pressing the 'Reset Settings' mean all other settings are removed, with only the default Admin account (check password reset for detailshttps://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -qts-4-4-2) on reboot and the Time Server, Reboot plans, Location etc.
So it should not be pressed before having inspected and noted the QNAP's configuration.

Good luck,
Porky
Last edited by Porky on Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Porky wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:59 pm So, here's a little task for the QNAP developers :
No need to task QNAP with anything, they do not come here, so for bug reports and/or fixes, you need to open a ticket
Porky
New here

Post by Porky »

Hi dolbyman,
Thanks for the tip, they aught to come here, then they maybe made aware of the issues their user's have having to contend with.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I agree, but they do not

(occasionally the odd product manager comes in for special programs like when QIoT was new or there were new or major security issues or malware hits again.. but even then they will ask you to open a ticket, 100%)

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”