Log in to QTS with AD accounts, how to restrict folders visible on FS to the ones specified by ACLs

Questions about using Windows AD service.
EmanueleBarone
New here

Log in to QTS with AD accounts, how to restrict folders visible on FS to the ones specified by ACLs

Post by EmanueleBarone »

Greetings, first time poster here.

I have a TS435 in a domain, and through Windows I have set folder permissions to various user groups so they can only access what they need to. Now, for reasons of remote working, I am interested in making the users actually log into QTS, where not being local administrators they essentially only have access to the File Station, which is good. However, through the File Station they seem to have unfettered access to the whole of the share without the restrictions set through Windows, and so I wonder if there is a way to do that, and if it can be automatic or needs to be done manually. The subtree of folders is not the root tree of the share, so Folder Permissions from the Control Panel only tells me that all the Domain Users have RW permissions for the folder that contains the various subfolders I want to differentiate, so I can't do it through that.
I'd appreciate some pointers, so thanks in advance.
EmanueleBarone
New here

Re: Log in to QTS with AD accounts, how to restrict folders visible on FS to the ones specified by ACLs

Post by EmanueleBarone »

So, returning to this months later, I did find out that it would be necessary to enable Advanced Folder Permissions along with Windows ACLs. What I cannot find written anywhere is details on the consequences of doing so, particularly enabling Advanced Folder Permissions while Windows ACLs are already enabled. It seems enabling advanced permissions per se resets the permissions of all sub folders to those of the first level folders. But does it do so also when ACLs are already enabled? How to keep or restore ACL-based permissions when one activates Advanced permissions on existing shares that already had ACLs?

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”