Domain users not being listed

Questions about using Windows AD service.
ekithump
First post

Domain users not being listed

Post by ekithump »

TS-859 Pro+
Firmware 4.2.1
Windows 2008 R2 domain

I'm hoping someone can help, as I'm at my wit's end. If I had any hair left to lose, most of it would have been pulled out over the last two days.

I updated the firmware to 4.2.2 last week and it completely killed all our shared folders. I tried to re-attach it to the domain numerous times, and it either failed outright, or it said it had completed. However when it said it completed, it actually hadn't, and when I went back into the domain settings it had reverted to standalone.

Yesterday I downgraded the firmware to 4.2.1, set the device explicitly to standalone and manually deleted the machine account from AD. After several attempts, it finally agreet to rejoin the domain (evidenced by the fact that the machine account reappeared in AD).

Now the fun really starts: trying to reapply the security settings to the shared folders. On selecting edit shared folder permissions, it will (albeit after a very long wait) list Domain Groups and allow me to assign permissions and add them. However, it will not list Domain Users - it reports that it's "Loading data, please wait..." and then shows an empty list.
However, if I select to reset the Owner of the share, it will happily display the domain user list.

I can also list domain users once I'm SSHed into the box, using wbinfo -u

Is there a way to assign share permissions using the shell? I've looked but can't find an answer (I'm not a Linux user by the way, so if there is a way, can you please detail it rather than just saying 'use the standard Linux commands').

Can anyone suggest how on earth I can get this thing working again? I've hunted high and low through this and other forums, and cannot find a solution. I need to get this thing back online, at least long enough so I can get a Synology to replace it with and transfer all the files over!

Thanks in advance.
Rybrook
First post

Re: Domain users not being listed

Post by Rybrook »

I've got exactly the same problem, have you managed to find a fix for it?

Thanks
saulysw
New here

Re: Domain users not being listed

Post by saulysw »

Try manually entering in your DNS server IPs, rather than relying on DHCP. I did this and it then fixed my issues.

I know this is a complete necro-post, but hey, it is still an issue. It might help someone....

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”