Newbie question: one big NAS instead of two smaller ones?

Questions about using Windows AD service.
bruno.dal
New here

Newbie question: one big NAS instead of two smaller ones?

Post by bruno.dal »

Hi,
in a large school I have two separate LANs, each one with a Windows domain controller.
In both networks I need to add a NAS, where domain users can access to own folders only, so I need to insert the settings of the own LDAP server (the windows domain controller) in every NAS.

Here is the question.
Instead of employ two NAS, can I use a single bigger one (I have in mind the TVS-EC1080+, where the large RAM is for using some Virtual Machine in future), setting up in it two LDAP server datas, one for each LAN?
In other word I wish to connect the NAS to the two LANs by means of two ethernet interface, create in it two storage pools, where users of LAN1 (connected to ethernet interface 1), authenticated in windows domain controller 1, access to own foldes in storage pool 1 only
and users of LAN2 (connected to ethernet interface 2), authenticated in windows domain controller 2, access to own foldes in storage pool 2 only
(the best would be to have a common storage pool for both users of both network also, but it wouldn't be strictly necessary).
Is it possible or I need to use two separate NAS because I can only specify a single LDAP server set of informations in an enterprise NAS also?

Thank you,
Bruno

I've just seen in the manual that the right way to join the NAS in a Microsoft domain is in the panel "Active Directory authentication",
so, more exactly, my question is "can i specify two active directory server in the NAS"?

Thank you again
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Newbie question: one big NAS instead of two smaller ones?

Post by dolbyman »

I guess if your AD was branched correctly you could have done it with just one ...but with two sepperate AD's you would need two NAS to join both

not sure if you could aggregate both with a third server ..but that would require that third server
bruno.dal
New here

Post by bruno.dal »

Hi dolbyman, thank you for the answer.
Between the two domains there is an one way trust relationship, but I prefer to treat them independently.
So I fear you're right: there's no alternative to buy two NAS.
The best solution would be having an unexisting NAS with a special firmware supporting more sets of users and permitting to assign "users pool 1" and "storage pool 1" to interface 1, "users pool 2" and "storage pool 2" to interface 2. In this way the device would be almost as two independent NAS, I suppose!
This could be a tip for Qnap for writing such a firmware working in this way! Probably I cannot solve my problem for a firmware limit only, while the hardware could support the way I wish.
Is my tip so crazy?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Well I guess you could run two virtual servers, either Windows or Linux, each one handling a different domain.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”