Microsoft network settings failed. Please check the DNS server, domain name, and user name and password for logging in t

Questions about using Windows AD service.
henrychoiyw
New here

Microsoft network settings failed. Please check the DNS server, domain name, and user name and password for logging in t

Post by henrychoiyw »

Hi All,
I am getting the following error on my NAS suddenly.
Microsoft network settings failed. Please check the DNS server, domain name, and user name and password for logging in the domain.

======== DEBUG START =======

/usr/local/samba/bin/net time set -S WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk

Sync time with domain name fail, try to sync time with IP

/usr/local/samba/bin/net time set -S 192.168.0.4

[command] echo ******** | /usr/bin/kinit "Administrator@INTRANET.CSHCC.ORG.HK"

Password for Administrator@INTRANET.CSHCC.ORG.HK:

Specify WORKGROUP = CSHCC

[command] /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join -S WIN2012R2 -U "Administrator%********" -s /etc/config/smb.conf

Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'INTRANET.CSHCC.ORG.HK' over rpc: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET

[command] /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join -S WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk -U "Administrator%********" -s /etc/config/smb.conf

Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'INTRANET.CSHCC.ORG.HK' over rpc: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET

[command] /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join -U "Administrator%********" -s /etc/config/smb.conf

[command] /usr/local/samba/bin/net rpc join -S WIN2012R2 -U "Administrator%********" -s /etc/config/smb.conf

Connection failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET

Could not connect to server WIN2012R2

[command] /usr/local/samba/bin/net rpc join -S WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk -U "Administrator%********" -s /etc/config/smb.conf

Could not connect to server WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk

[command] /usr/local/samba/bin/net rpc join -U "Administrator%********" -s /etc/config/smb.conf

Could not connect to server WIN2012R2

========================================================================================================================================

Is there anyone can help me solve the error ?
schumaku
Guru

Re: Microsoft network settings failed. Please check the DNS server, domain name, and user name and password for logging

Post by schumaku »

Hi Henry,

Ensure the NAS network configuration does contain only DNS servers able to resolve your internal domain. With a single server, or a single ADDC, this would be the LAN IP address of your WIN2012R2 server on the intranet subdomain - which is also your ADDC domain.

If there other (or more) DNS servers configured, neither the domain intranet.cshcc.org.hk nor the ADDC server WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk IP addresses can be resolved. This does lead to the failure.

An nslookup or dig for intranet.cshcc.org.hk and WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk must return the LAN IP address of your ADDC, which is your Windows Server, at least.

-Kurt.
henrychoiyw
New here

Re: Microsoft network settings failed. Please check the DNS server, domain name, and user name and password for logging

Post by henrychoiyw »

Dear Kurt,
Thanks very much for your reply.
There is only one ADDC within the network. I try to SSH in and use nslookup to check if the NAS can resolve the server name and internal domain name returns the correct IP address to me.
I am wondering would it be something blocked the communication between the NAS and the DNS when try to do authenicaton ?
Henry
schumaku wrote:Hi Henry,

Ensure the NAS network configuration does contain only DNS servers able to resolve your internal domain. With a single server, or a single ADDC, this would be the LAN IP address of your WIN2012R2 server on the intranet subdomain - which is also your ADDC domain.

If there other (or more) DNS servers configured, neither the domain intranet.cshcc.org.hk nor the ADDC server WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk IP addresses can be resolved. This does lead to the failure.

An nslookup or dig for intranet.cshcc.org.hk and WIN2012R2.intranet.cshcc.org.hk must return the LAN IP address of your ADDC, which is your Windows Server, at least.

-Kurt.
paultherich
First post

Post by paultherich »

I have this exact problem with QNAP TS-831XU. have set the DNS to the DC's NICs (both Primary and secondary), the time is the same but cant join the domain.
Note: The nas has ever been on this domain before but my college disjoined it when I was on leave. Now I cant get it back to the same domain.

Help please

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”