TVS-871U-RP Unable to Join AD Domain after Controller disabled SMBv1 support

Questions about using Windows AD service.
rgomes
Starting out

TVS-871U-RP Unable to Join AD Domain after Controller disabled SMBv1 support

Post by rgomes »

After the WannaCrypt threat, the SMBv1 protocol has been disabled on the AD domain controllers and now I can't connect to AD.
There's an issue that affects RedHat distributions and might be the same case here.
After Disabling SMB1 Support, Unable to Join AD Domain Via Winbind With "NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET" Error
Solution In Progress - Updated an hour ago -

Environment
RHEL 5
RHEL 6
Winbind

Issue
After disabling the SMBv1 protocol on the Active Directory domain controllers, RHEL machines are unable to join via winbind. Enabling the SMB1 protocol again allows our RHEL 5 and 6 machines to join.

Resolution
There are no configuration changes that can be made to get Winbind on RHEL 5/6 to work with SMB1 disabled, so Red Hat recommends choosing between the following two paths:
- Recommended: Use SSSD to join to an Active Directory domain. See our guide: Authenticate RHEL manually to Active Directory with SSSD using AD backend
- Alternate: If using Winbind is a requirement, update the machine to RHEL 7, which supports the SMB2 protocol

Root Cause
The winbindd daemon in RHEL 5 and 6 is only able to communicate using the SMB1 protocol. This cannot be changed or improved.
Is there a programmed update to solve this?

The NAS is currently on 4.2.2 build 20161208. I'm going to try to update to latest 4.3.3 to see if it works...
  • _______________________________________________________________________
    TVS-871U-RP i3-4150 4GB + 6xSSD SAMSUNG 850PRO 512GB + X550 10Gbe adapter

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”