QNAP denies access to random users which have access by groups

Questions about using Windows AD service.
ionr1p
First post

QNAP denies access to random users which have access by groups

Post by ionr1p »

Hello all,

I am running a QNAP TS-459 Pro+ with Firmware Version 4.2.6 (latest). As our business grew, we moved the QNAP into a small active directory running on Windows Server 2016. Before the QNAP was in Server 2012 R2 AD but just a few computers used it. Now, as I moved all user accounts into the domain, I encounter random access denials, which I might explain like this:

Lets say, there is User 1, User 2, User 3 and User 4. Then there is Group A, Group B and Group C. All of the users are in Group A, User 1 and 2 are also in Group B, User 3 and 4 are also in Group C.

I have just two shares (home-Folders and a share called "Files", advanced permissions enable, ACL disabled.) and every computer mounts the share "Files". Inside "Files" is Folder A, Folder B and Folder C. To manage it, I put R/W-Access to Folder A for Group A, R/W-Access to Folder B to Group B and so on. The permission for the Files share itself is allowed for the Domain-Users-Group and they all can open the share. Guest access is denied, also the local admin from the NAS has full R/W-access to everything.

User 1 should be able to access Folder A and Folder B. But access is denied for Folder A, while Folder B works.
User 2 has access to Folder A Folder B doesnt work.
User 3 can't access anything
User 4 can just access Folder C.

In fact, there are more users and it is totally random. What I found out so far: It is not related to from where or what computer you access as its same for private laptop by VPN or business-computer at work. It is absolutely random on random users and random groups.

What I did so far:
  • Tried to search on google and forums for about an hour without success (kind of similar unsolved problems exist)
  • Rebooted everything multiple times
  • Removed all access rights and put them there again
  • Firmware upgrade to the latest firmware
  • Removed QNAP from domain, rejoined it, put all access again
  • Set the windows credentials manually in the windows credential manager
  • Deleted the groups on the domain controller, put up new gropus
  • Rebooted everything (already said that, but I really rebooted everything dozens of times)
  • Mailed support, no answer yet
So far I did not try to activate ACL on the share as I saw no advantage yet. Could this solve it?

I would aprechiate every help or troubleshooting hints very much.
keson
New here

Re: QNAP denies access to random users which have access by groups

Post by keson »

Any update on this topic? I suffer the same issue TS-451+, fw 4.3.3.0299 build 20170901. I am frustrated as I can only assign permissions to shared folder on NAS per individual AD users, not AD security (or any other) groups.
olaer069
First post

Re: QNAP denies access to random users which have access by groups

Post by olaer069 »

I have TS-459 Pro II and I am running into this issue after

updating to 4.2.6 20170905 from 4.2.5

basic behaviour: Random users can't access shared folder, while others can
basic setup: A Domain Controller user group controls permissions on one NAS shared folder through QNAP NAS settings.
basic troubleshooting: the Win7Pro32 client can access the NAS over the network but gets "access denied" message when trying to access the shared folder.

------------------------------------------------------

other things I did while updating:

Installed
----------
video station - default config
cloud drive sync - no config beyond default

updated to latest version
--------------------------
myQNapcloud SSL certificate
Download Station

activated
----------