L2TP VPN Server with Domain Authentication

Questions about using Windows AD service.
andrewprouse
First post

L2TP VPN Server with Domain Authentication

Post by andrewprouse »

NAS: TVS-471
Firmware: 4.3.3.0262

I am generally a happy QNAP user and have been for the past 5+ years. This is my first post.

I have been using this NAS successfully for some time now. The NAS has been joined to my Active Directory Domain and serves several local and remote users for file services mainly (all users are domain users apart from a single local admin account).

Following the most recent firmware upgrade WebDAV stopped working (login failed). After some searching, I found a small WebDAV checkbox within each users' application settings so I re-checked this and things seem to be working again. While WebDAV was down I thought I'd try to configure the QNAP box as a VPN Server so that my remote users could VPN in while WebDAV was down.

After a few hours of installing QVPN and setting up my Cisco router etc, VPN to the QNAP from a remote location was working as follows:

- Domain users with a single name can connect (e.g. DOMAIN\Jeff or DOMAIN\Richard)
- Domain users with two names cannot connect (e.g. DOMAIN\Joe Bloggs or DOMAIN\Bob Jones)

Interestingly, if I view the PRIVILEGE SETTINGS page within QVPN the users are all now single names (although most should have first and last names). If I try to authenticate to the VPN as 'Joe' (when the user is actually called Joe Bloggs) it fails. If I remove and re-add the users from the PRIVILEGE SETTINGS page they initially add as the proper name (the majority being first and last), but after 30mins or so they revert to single names.

At no point can I connect to the VPN using a user with first and last names, I can only ever connect using a user with a single name.

Any ideas ?

Cheers, Andy

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”