Cannot secure shares after upgrade

Questions about using Windows AD service.
MushyMiddle
New here

Cannot secure shares after upgrade

Post by MushyMiddle »

Hi. I upgraded to 4.3.3.0262 yesterday, and since then, no AD users/groups (or even local users/groups) show when trying to add permissions to shares. The users/groups all show in Control Panel / Privilege, but not when editing permissions on shares. I've checked SMB status, testparm, and re-joined the NAS to the domain, but it still won't allow user/group permissions to be added.

Actually, there seems to be a pattern here. Shares that are empty (newly-created, no files) seem to not have this problem. Shares that have files copied via backup from my old ReadyNAS exhibit this problem. I wonder if there is some kind of permissions problem on those shares - they were copied using NFS server-to-server. Does enabling NFS host access on the QNAP somehow roach the user/group permissions handling?

Thanks...

P.S. I believe this was all working OK before the upgrade, as another share I had similarly copied via NFS has domain permissions I set back when I copied it, and now I can't edit (add) permissions on that share, either. Obviously (?) I can manually edit smb.conf, if that's the only place permissions are specified, but that's a drag to have to do.
MushyMiddle
New here

Re: Cannot secure shares after upgrade

Post by MushyMiddle »

Never mind - figured it out. The NFS copy also changed the owner of the share folder itself from 0:0 to a bogus user:group (probably the domain mapping on the ReadyNAS). Fixing the folder ownership restored the ability to edit permissions in the web UI.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”