Windows 10 cannot explore NAS name

Questions about using Windows AD service.
jgveill
Starting out

Windows 10 cannot explore NAS name

Post by jgveill »

I'm experiencing recurrent problems with Windows 10 - 1803 explorer. I can always explore NAS with \\192.168.2.15 (NAS IP) but \\NAS (my NAS name, TS-251B) works only sometimes and I cannot discover why. I get the message "Windows cannot access \\NAS. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. ... click Diagnose". Clicking diagnose does no results. It looks like a DNS problem but I don't know how to solve it.

I googled a lot and found a lot of people having this problem but I could not identify a real working solution. I've checked the 4 Services (Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Ressource publication, SSDP discovrey, UPnp) and all are automatic and working. I ensured SMB 1.0 File Sharing Support is clicked.

Don't forget : sometimes, that's perfectly working but I noted that this generally happens after some time.

Here few additional information : (see attachments)
- Router is the DHCP server (192.168.2.1).
- NAS network is set with IPv4 " Obtain address settings automatically via DHCP, I disabled IPv6, DNS is "Use the following DNS server address" which is router address (192.168.2.1), VLAN is not enabled (???).
- PC network card is : "obtain IP address automatically" ; Use the following DNS server address 192.168.2.1), DNS is append primary and connections specific DNS suffixes, Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix, Register this connection's addresses in DNS. Not clicked : use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration. WINS is "enable Netbios over TCP/IP.

I tried static address for NAS and defined the name in hosts (162.168.2.15 NAS) thinking this would solve the problem but this line is commented by windows when I restart the PC. I imagine Windows 10 doesn't like this !

I would really appreciate your help. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more information. Thanks in advance.

J Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Windows 10 cannot explore NAS name

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

firstly what qnap model? what qts version and build? also would help to know what your hardware networking is like.

just a suggestion,

create a desktop shortcut, you can then add the target to

Code: Select all

\\NAS ip
so you don't have to type it out all the time.

usually if your lan ip for the NAS does not work, i would try troubleshoot using the Qfinder app. because it will tell you if it detects the QNAP on your lan firstly. Also what lan ip is the device.

alternatively you can check in your router, but i prefer using qfinder first.

If you see the lan ip for the qnap changes, then the reason is you did not setup a fixed IP, which is something you need to do in your router. It's recommended.

other things you can do, try go windows credential manager in windows 10 then add an entry for the qnap.

i did not have to fiddle with so many settings like you. all you need to do...
1. set a fixed lan ip for your qnap (do this in your router)
2. add an entry in windows credential manager
3. create a desktop shortcut (easier and convenient)
4. keep windows and qts updated often (stable releases only)
5. use qfinder to check NAS status. my model has a LCD status, but i also rely on qfinder often. Or better yet if possible, i login to qts and check the notifications.

if still doesn't work, try asking helpdesk
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
jgveill
Starting out

Post by jgveill »

Thanks for the shortcut tip !

May be you missed some parts of my post : QNAP is TS-251B (QTS version was missing : 4.3.5.0728 and Windows up to date with v. 1803) and I have no problems exploring QNAP nas with \\192.168.2.15. It's always there (static in router) but most of the time I can see NAS under explorer Network (credentials are there) but clicking on it gives an error (see attachment). \\NAS gives the same error.

Everything you mentioned is already done / checked.

So, to be short and sweet : \\192.168.2.15 perfectly works, \\NAS doesn't work most of the time, sometimes it does.

Is explorer not working with NAS name a reality for everyone !

J Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jgveill
Starting out

Post by jgveill »

I may have found ... my stupid Bitde... firewall is blocking access. When I close it, it perfectly works. The (&?*?&/?%$?$ total security firewall is impossible to understand. I can set it in a way to have NAS working, the next time I open the PC, when you have no doubt about firewall, problems again. So my mind is made about this security suite.

J Guy
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

jgveill wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 pm May be you missed some parts of my post : QNAP is TS-251B (QTS version was missing : 4.3.5.0728 and Windows up to date with v. 1803)
oops sorry you're right :ashamed:
jgveill wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:44 am I may have found ... my stupid Bitde... firewall is blocking access. When I close it, it perfectly works. The (&?*?&/?%$?$ total security firewall is impossible to understand. I can set it in a way to have NAS working, the next time I open the PC, when you have no doubt about firewall, problems again. So my mind is made about this security suite.

J Guy
ah... yeah this happened to me once before..... it was with some third party firewall that i accidentally set too restrictive. or another time that it had a prompt about a device that i accidentally blocked, but it was actually the nas.

there is also another possibility, like in QTS whitelist/blacklist. i noticed one instance, where i incorrectly entered wrong password, then it blocked my lan ip device. I had to soft reset using the physical reset button on qnap to unblock.

my privateinternetaccess windows app has allow local area devices, but that does not seem to function. i notice it blocks qfinder from detecting the qnap, but it does not interfere with accessing the qnap on samba. so only when i need to use qfinder, do i then temporary disable the app.

Anyway glad you managed to figure it out :}

from my initial testing of bitdefender it's good but it also is quite restrictive unless you green flag stuff. maybe need to pay attention to their firewall settings, to ensure it's not trying to block legit stuff. I use ESET NOD32, it's less effective, but it tends to simply just work without much fuss :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmXKve4w0Fg

jgveill wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 pm Is explorer not working with NAS name a reality for everyone !
actually, entering NAS name instead of the lan ip also works, when creating the desktop shortcut. in fact it's probably better because..... when i was switching between testing LAN and my wireless (using the QWA wireless adapter), i had to create 2 different shortcuts with different lan ips..... it was just simpler using the NAS Name, so i only needed one shortcut :)

Code: Select all

\\NAS NAME
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
jgveill
Starting out

Post by jgveill »

Thanks !

I was a very happy Comodo user and got a good 3 years deal with Bitdefender. Not sure I will renew. I miss Comodo flexibility. I agree, Bitdefender seems done for people who do not want to be bothered with settings.

J Guy

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”