Joining the QNAP NAS to an Active Directory Domain

Questions about using Windows AD service.
sirrah
New here

Joining the QNAP NAS to an Active Directory Domain

Post by sirrah »

How do I join a QNAP NAS to a Windows Server Domain please? In joining the domain, are the files and folders on the NAS protected from direct access, rather than through the domain?

Thanks
Don
Guru

Re: Joining the QNAP NAS to an Active Directory Domain

Post by Don »

Did you check the manual? I’m sure it explains how to do it.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
sirrah
New here

Post by sirrah »

Thanks OneCD. This is just what I was after. I did search but couldn't find it.
kupajava
New here

Post by kupajava »

Don wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 am Did you check the manual? I’m sure it explains how to do it.
Please consider replying with a link to the section of any documentation instead of just saying "look at the manual" if you actually intend on helping anyone. Just telling people to RTFM does nothing for anyone but you.

This forum has become renown for being full of neckbeards who pleasure themselves by insulting and driving away paying QNAP customers who come here for assistance, and snark posts like that have made this forum useless to people who come here looking for actual help with their devices.

This is a help forum, not 4chan, so if actually assisting people bothers you maybe it's time to relocate.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

If the user has not specifically stated they have read the manual, it's a valid question.

There are a number of users who never read the manual, because they would rather ask the Internet instead. It's quicker and easier (for them).

Then there are users who don't know what to search for. Maybe they are so new they don't have the vocabulary yet. Fair enough, we all start that way.

In this case, the OP is someone who just needed a nudge in the right direction - they can take it from there.

For some community members, it can become quite tiresome answering the same questions again-and-again. If someone is willing to learn, I'm willing to point them towards instructional text(s) so they can teach themselves. If I'm unaware of any texts, I'll write my own in the hope they find some value in it.

The important thing is: we're all here to help, but we don't possess a hive-mind. We're from many different cultures and backgrounds, we all have different personalities, and we offer our help in different ways. Your advice to @Don is an example of one way. It may not be the most effective way, but that's something you can improve upon (or not).

No-one who is willing to assist or advise should be discouraged from doing so - unless their help isn't helping at all. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”