Move AD DC

Questions about using Windows AD service.
QSISteve
Know my way around

Move AD DC

Post by QSISteve »

Currently I have a HS-251+ acting as a Domain Controller and a TVS-951X acting as an additional domain controller. The Active directory stuff is killing the memory of the HS so I would like to make the TVS the primary domain controller and demote the HS to domain member. Would the following work and still keep all my settings (Users, Groups, Computers etc:

1, Backup Domain Config on HS.
2. Demote HS to non domain controller.
3. Change the TVS from Additional Domain Controller to Domain Controller.
4. Restore earlier backup to TVS?

SteveJ
spacetime
New here

Re: Move AD DC

Post by spacetime »

Steve, I'm trying to do something similar. It's been 3 months since you posted and nobody has responded yet? KInda slow around here eh?

Your logic seems correct but I cannot honestly say whether it'll work or not. My TS-873 doesn't support vQTS so I can't test it out. I have some customers that have the TS-1277 Ryzen 7 units with maxed out memory but they are production boxes and they use all the ethernet ports on them, so I can't test it there either. I wonder if the vQTS image would run in VMware Workstation... if so, then I could run two virtualized QTS systems and play around with the domain settings to see what works and what doesn't.
QSISteve
Know my way around

Post by QSISteve »

Not tried it yet. Got other problems with the TVS so waiting until QNAP helpdesk have sorted them out first.

SteveJ
PGibbons
First post

Post by PGibbons »

I can't believe this... but QNAP support confirmed that it is not possible to restore an ADDC Backup from one QNAP model to another model. We also wanted to switch primary and additional DC on two different QNAP models. But it is not working. Support suggests to make a complete system backup on the primary and restore on the secondary, which is not feasible in our configuration, since both are completely in use. We just want to switch primary and additional.
Maybe somebody has an ides?
lukasz_n
First post

Post by lukasz_n »

Did support tell you how to do the full system backup?
As far as I know all settings can be transferred only by migrating disks. However that's not an option if you have an old storage architecture based on single volume and want to move data to storage pool and use multiple volumes.

I'm also looking for a way to move AD from old QNAP to new one, but without moving the disks, of course we need also to transfer all data and ACLs.
user4711
First post

Post by user4711 »

Hi I wonder if s.o. managed to move a AD DC?
I have the same challenge - I added a new NAS to an existing netowrk with a NAS configured as DC.
Now I want to make the new NAS DC - but have no idea how to do it.
I have a plain permission concept and only 6 users.
So manually adding permissions and users on the new DC would be ok, but I do not want to create a new domain.
Any ideas
br axel
DiggerD
New here

Post by DiggerD »

Hi, we have purchased a new TS-453D and want to make it a Domain controller.
When i try and attach a local machine to the domain i get the following error
The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.xxx.Domain

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate an AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when an AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

Has anyone activated a domain server ok on a QNAP and if so could they please advise what i'm doing wrong.

Mal

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”