AD users cannot access shares after 4.3.6.0993 firmware.

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Net Admin
New here

AD users cannot access shares after 4.3.6.0993 firmware.

Post by Net Admin »

Here we go again... About a year ago I had a problem whereby the Windows AD users could not access their shares unless I refreshed the AD synchronisation. That issue was eventually fixed by new firmware. The thread is in this forum.

About a week ago I updated the firmware to 4.3.6.0993 on a TS-251 at a client's site. A few days after that all (ALL) users (Win 7 8.1 10 Server 2008r2) received Access Denied when trying to access their shares. On inspection there were no permissions present (control panel - privileges - shared folders). Only the Qnap admin was present. Going then into edit shared folder permissions and trying to add a domain user or group, the list was void of entries. thinking this was (again) another broken AD sync issue, I refreshed the AD partnership and restarted the box. This time however it made no difference. Next I removed the AD completely, restarted the Qnap, went through the AD wizard and re-created the partnership, which succeeded, only to find still no domain users were present. Restarted again. No change. AD on the 2008r2 server was checked and found to be perfectly happy. Other AD shares (on the server itself) were perfectly fine.

The only way I could provide users access to their data was to remove AD completely and create local users on the Qnap itself and assign basic rights, then map through to those shares from Windows. That's not a solution, but a desperate workaround a problem that shouldn't exist. Hours of work time lost, customers right royally peeved. Support ticket raised, still awaiting initial response.

So I'm putting it out there. Is 4.3.6.0093 known to cause this issue? If so (insert seriously unhappy face here) is there a fix for it? My system is telling me I have the latest firmware installed, so I know there's no newer version available yet. Can I roll back manually without risk to data? If so, to which firmware and by what process?

I mean no offence, but if I sound annoyed it's because I am. This issue has cost time and money, but most importantly has the customer seriously questioning why I installed this unit in the first place.

If anyone has constructive feedback or a solution re this problem I'd dearly like to hear it. I guarantee you the next working firmware I install on this unit will be the last ever. Without complete faith the firmware won't create a problem, there's no way I'll be installing them.

Regards to all.
neweggeek
New here

Re: AD users cannot access shares after 4.3.6.0993 firmware.

Post by neweggeek »

I am having a similar issue. This just started after a few days after upgrading the firmware.
I can authenticate with IP Address, but not by hostname.
I am running a Qnap TS-853U firmware version 4.3.6.0.0993

Example.
works
\\123.123.123.123\sharename\folder

dosn't work
\\nasname\sharename\folder
\\nasname.domain.local\sharename\folder
neweggeek
New here

Post by neweggeek »

Update: rebooting did not resolve my issue.
Net Admin
New here

Post by Net Admin »

Hey mate,
Double check your dns server has an entry for the qnap box (including r-dns entry) and the client machine is using that dns server as its primary. If it can resolve it by ip and not name, it's possibly a dns issue.
Cheers
neweggeek
New here

Post by neweggeek »

Thanks, I did have the entries in my dns server.
I rebooted the all of the DC over the weekend and today everything is working. Not sure what was wrong.
Net Admin
New here

Post by Net Admin »

Glad you sorted it. If it re-occurs, clear the dns cache and restart the service and see if you can resolve the Qnap by IP and reverse dns before going to the lengths of a server restart. It's possible it wasn't a Qnap issue to start with, but that's just a guess.

My issue is still ongoing. Appears the firmware update may not have completed successfully and I need to re-apply it manually before reconfiguring a small part of the system. I won't be able to try this until Friday night. I'll update this thread after that time. Hopefully with good news.
ulmueneu
New here

Post by ulmueneu »

Hi, we use a 419p+. Same problem . we have firmware 4.3.3.998 - installed on 20.8.2019
DomainJoin says "successfull" but adding a DomainUser or DomainGroup to Share-Permissions doesn't work.
Cannot see any user from Domain/AD Win 2019
neweggeek
New here

Post by neweggeek »

Looks like my issue came back. I had to restart the NAS for it to start working again. Any idea whats going on?
ulmueneu
New here

Post by ulmueneu »

Thanks. I've started the Qnap several times. In Systemlog I see AD integration successfull but if I try to add a user from my Windows AD to give him access to a share I cannot see any Windows AD users. I would say " reboot doesn't work for me"
HADRON
New here

Post by HADRON »

I had the same problem - I couldn't wait for QNAP to fix it in the new firmware, so I downgraded the firmware to 4.3.6.0979 and everything went back to work.
Home NAS: TVS-882 CPU: INTEL i7-6700 GPU: MSI RADEON RX 460 OC 4GB RAM: 32GB STORAGE: 2x 360GB M.2 SSD INTEL SSDSCKKW360H6 RAID1 + 4x 8TB WD WD80EFZX RAID5
PSU: CORSAIR SFX 450W Modular 80+ Gold COOLING: CORSAIR H5 SF + 2x NOCTUA NF-A8 PWM + NOCTUA NF-A6x25 PWM
Office NAS: TVS-871 CPU: INTEL i7-4790s RAM: 32GB STORAGE:2x 480GB SSD INTEL SSDSC2BX480G4 RAID1 + 4x 6TB HGST HUS726060ALE610 RAID5

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”