Authentication of AD users no longer works

Questions about using Windows AD service.
llandyw
New here

Authentication of AD users no longer works

Post by llandyw »

I am running a TS-1635AS-8g and have encountered an issue that has been mentioned in this forum, but nothing seems to fix the issue.

Firmware is 4.5.1594 (latest, and came already installed).

Yesterday, all was working just fine. Today, can't mount any drives. AD Domain users aren't being authenticated.
All is the same on the server (2012), and I can connect with QFinder and html.

I have the domain users permissions set up properly (as I said, it all worked yesterday), and nothing has changed in that section.

However, it refuses AD authentication, and I have been trying to get it working again for over an hour.

What would cause something like this when there have been no updates to anything between yesterday and today?

What can I do to get it working again?

Andy
llandyw
New here

Re: Authentication of AD users no longer works

Post by llandyw »

After a LOT of working on this issue, I finally found the solution.

Seems that at the time the NAS was joined to the domain, it's name was NOT registered into the DNS.
This caused the problem as the NAS name wasn't recognized for authentication.

So, going to DNS Manager->Forward Lookup Zones->DomainName, added an A record with the NAS name and IP address.

After doing all this, the NAS not only showed up on all computers on the network, but the shares can be mapped properly again, without authentication issues.

Hopefully this will help others who have run across this issue.

Andy
ricopreston
First post

Re: Authentication of AD users no longer works

Post by ricopreston »

Thanks for this, it fixed our issue. We spent days with both Qnap and Veeam support trying to figure out why this was happening. Both sides kept pointing fingers at each other.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”