DNS Zone Transfer?

Questions about using Windows AD service.
knebb
Starting out

DNS Zone Transfer?

Post by knebb »

Hi,

I am using a QNP TS-451 which runs fine since years now. The domain controller is activated and I manage the few DNS entries I have without any issues through the qnap web gui. :)

But now I have a second site where I need to have a name resolution. Initially I simply used forwarding DNS.

Now when the QNAP goes down for maintenance the name resolution is down (as the forwarding dns can not forward to the qnap and has only a few entries cached).

I wanted to install a slave server on the remote location which loads the zone completely from the qnap DNS and provides DNS services even when the qnap is down (for whatever reason).

IUnfortunately, the QNAP DNS does not allow zone transfers. I tried to install the RSAT on my Windows but when allowing zone transfer it tells me: "not supported".

So is there any way (I do not mind editing files on the shell) to allow zone transfers to (listed) remote servers?

Thanks for all hints!

/KNEBB
knebb
Starting out

Re: DNS Zone Transfer?

Post by knebb »

Hi,

after doing some research it looks like there is no chance to get a zone transfer allowed at all.

QNAP uses the internal Samba as DNS server. With this, zone transfers can not be enabled (see here for further reference: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS_Ad ... g_features).

So no way to enable. Damn!

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”