Problems with setting up an Active Directory on QNAP

Questions about using Windows AD service.
pwimmer
New here

Problems with setting up an Active Directory on QNAP

Post by pwimmer »

Hello,

I want to use an Active Directory in my home network. There are a few PCs, an Internet connection and a router, nothing special. I've enabled the Domain Controller on the QNAP and also configured DHCP. DHCP is disabled on the router. However, my configuration doesn't work stable, sometimes PCs cannot join the domain, sometimes the network shares of the NAS (e.g. \\NAS\Data) are not available. I suspect I made mistakes configuring DNS, DHCP, ...

Is there a step-by-step guide to setup an AD?

What is wrong with the following configuration?

NAS IP: 192.168.163.203
Router IP: 192.168.163.252
ISP DNS servers: 212.33.36.155 / 212.33.55.5

llandyw
New here

Re: Problems with setting up an Active Directory on QNAP

Post by llandyw »

Peter, you might try putting your upper IP address limit to at least match the IP address of the server. Last octet to be 252 rather than 199.

Andy
pwimmer
New here

Post by pwimmer »

llandyw wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:24 am Peter, you might try putting your upper IP address limit to at least match the IP address of the server. Last octet to be 252 rather than 199.

Andy
Addresses 200 and higher are reserved for PCs with a fixed address, currently the NAS (203).

There are only a few devices in the network, so the DHCP address range should not be an issue.
llandyw
New here

Post by llandyw »

What you do for that is have the full range, but add an exclusion range for the systems with a fixed IP address.

Andy

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”