Authentication problems

Questions about using Windows AD service.
mjakara
New here

Authentication problems

Post by mjakara »

Hi,

I'm working on QNAP TS-419U few months without problems but before one week, I have problems with authentication domain users on NAS share, domain server is Microsoft SBS 2003.
Every moning users cannot log onto NAS share, NAS do not accept valid domain username and password. And after I restart NAS, users can work normaly all day. I upgrade NAS on version 3.2.4 build 0315T but problem is same. Also I changed domain account on 'AD Domain member' section but nothin changed.

I notice that when I try to acces from server with WINS name like this '\\nas\share' or DNS name '\\nas.domain.local\share', NAS ask me username and password, but when I access direct to IP address '\\192.168.123.6\share', I do not have to enter usename and password.

Is there any solution for this problems?
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Re: Authentication problems

Post by QNAPJauss »

mjakara wrote:Hi,

I'm working on QNAP TS-419U few months without problems but before one week, I have problems with authentication domain users on NAS share, domain server is Microsoft SBS 2003.
Every moning users cannot log onto NAS share, NAS do not accept valid domain username and password. And after I restart NAS, users can work normaly all day. I upgrade NAS on version 3.2.4 build 0315T but problem is same. Also I changed domain account on 'AD Domain member' section but nothin changed.

I notice that when I try to acces from server with WINS name like this '\\nas\share' or DNS name '\\nas.domain.local\share', NAS ask me username and password, but when I access direct to IP address '\\192.168.123.6\share', I do not have to enter usename and password.

Is there any solution for this problems?
Dear mjakara,

I suggest that you contact our technical support, so that they can connect remotely to your NAS end check the logs. It would be the best.
I have sent you a PM with more details.
Please check it.

BR,
Jauss
mikolcsom
First post

Post by mikolcsom »

Dear QNAPJauss,

I have the same problem with my TS-410U. If I try to access \\IP address\share NTLM authentication works and I can successfully log in. However if I use \\qnap_name\share I can not login with my AD credentials. QNAP name has been entered into the DNS as a HOST A record. Lookup and reverse lookup works.

Many thanks for your reply!
chrissie1
First post

Post by chrissie1 »

I seem to have the same problem it started last week. Using the IP-address solves the problem for now. No idea why.

I have a TS-419P.
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJauss »

chrissie1 wrote:I seem to have the same problem it started last week. Using the IP-address solves the problem for now. No idea why.

I have a TS-419P.
Dear chrissie1,

Do you remember if you did anything ? connect to the NAS web interface, or just reboot the NAS or the domain controller ?
Or the behavior just started without any changes ?

BR,
Jauss
bzouiden
First post

Post by bzouiden »

I am having the same issue except I can see the shares when I UNC to the IP but when I click on one of the share folders I then get prompted for credentials. I cannot get to my shares at all, I'm starting to get concerned. I also cannot reach tech support? I am running a TS-439U SP-US in an AD environment, the unit worked fine until last week when my backup server could not connect to the shares. I have tried removing dns entries from the DNS server flush cache, upgraded the firmware yesterday. Nothing seems to work and I cannot get to the shares at all. UNC to \\server_name prompts me right away whereas \\IP_address doesn't prompt until I click a share folder.

Help me please
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJauss »

bzouiden wrote:I am having the same issue except I can see the shares when I UNC to the IP but when I click on one of the share folders I then get prompted for credentials. I cannot get to my shares at all, I'm starting to get concerned. I also cannot reach tech support? I am running a TS-439U SP-US in an AD environment, the unit worked fine until last week when my backup server could not connect to the shares. I have tried removing dns entries from the DNS server flush cache, upgraded the firmware yesterday. Nothing seems to work and I cannot get to the shares at all. UNC to \\server_name prompts me right away whereas \\IP_address doesn't prompt until I click a share folder.

Help me please
To reach tech support, you can use the online support form : http://qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp. They will contact you back.
You can aslo use MSN or skype :
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com

Witch firmware do you have ?
Did you do anything last week ? change any configuration, reboot the Domain controller ?
You can restart the windows networking service by command line:
- connect to the NAS by SSH (you can use the tool "putty")
- use the command :

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/smb.sh restart
If it doesn't work, if you are not familiar with command line or if you still cannot reach tech support, you can send me a private message, i will help to contact them.

BR,
Jauss.
mjakara
New here

Post by mjakara »

Yesterday, QNAP support was connect to my server via Teamviewer but they did not find solutions, then they do not answer me any more.

When share on NAS working, and I try to connect to \\NAS\share , windows ask me username and password. In log.smbd is writen:

[2010/04/08 07:33:03, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr_internal(1867)
getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
[2010/04/08 07:33:03, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_data(1148)
write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Transport endpoint is not connected
[2010/04/08 07:33:03, 0] smbd/process.c:srv_send_smb(74)
Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Transport endpoint is not connected)
[2010/04/08 07:33:03, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(350)
Failed to verify incoming ticket with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE!
[2010/04/08 07:33:03, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_data(1148)
write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Transport endpoint is not connected
[2010/04/08 07:33:03, 0] smbd/process.c:srv_send_smb(74)
Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Transport endpoint is not connected)
[2010/04/08 07:33:08, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(350)
[2010/04/08 07:34:38, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(350)

Than I enter username and password, so this lines are added:

[2010/04/08 07:34:38, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1121)
192.168.123.1 (192.168.123.1) connect to service install initially as user CMC+marijan (uid=30001, gid=30006) (pi
[2010/04/08 07:34:38, 0] smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_setup(293)
Failed to init inotify - Function not implemented
[2010/04/08 07:34:53, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1333)
192.168.123.1 (192.168.123.1) closed connection to service install

But, whan access to \\NAS\share is not working, I always get this messages:

[2010/04/08 06:58:55, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(350)

Please, I need quick solutions for this problems.

Regards.
peterd
New here

Post by peterd »

For me it's exactly the same problem. We have a QNAP TS-809U (Firmware 3.1.2).

I can integrate the device to our domain (Group information etc.) is copyed to the device.
After this access from Workstations is only possible through the ip-Adress. If i use the FQDN, i get the Login,
which doesn't work correctly at all (even if i enter correct credentials, it doesn't let me access the share).

If i use the IP-Address, everything works ok.

I already contacted support -> where i got only a link of how to check and upgrade to the newest firmware :-/ ??

Has someone resolved this issue ?? It looks like a big flaw.....

Best Regards

Peter D.
peterd
New here

Post by peterd »

Update:

I upgradet the QNAP to the latest Firmware (3.2.5) but the problem, which is described before remains....

Access with the IP-Address works good, access through FQDN, doesn't work correct....

What does QNAP Support say to this ???

Peter D.
QNAPJauss
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJauss »

Dear Peter,

we are currently working hard on the new firmware .
It is difficult for us to fix that issue as we cannot reproduce that problem and because it happens only in some environments.
We are sorry for the inconvenience and suggest you to connect using the IP if your encounter the problem with the hostname.
Also, please don't hesitate to contact the technical support to verify if it is the same problem.

Best regards,

Jauss
peterd
New here

Post by peterd »

Hi Jauss,

thank you very much for sharing information (about the status) with us. This makes the development of the the new firmware
more living and me less angry :-).

As you described before, that's it's hard for you to reproduce this failure.....i can invite you to a VNC-Session to us to see it live what happens (but i rather think you have it already seen).

Best Regards and sunny greetings from Vienna

Peter Dornauer
mnet
Starting out

Post by mnet »

I can't imagine the problem is hard to reproduce. I've had the same problem on 3 TS-509's. The first two units which I obtained for my company at two different sites can join windows server 2008 R2 domain and authentication works for users etc, however you can no longer use the UNC path or name of the NAS to access shares. It becomes IP access only. Using the UNC path will result in a pop up window asking for username and password, but even if you put in the right information it will not work and it will pop up the window asking for credentials again. Using IP address it will work normally.

My personal home unit was working fine. Then I decided to add a server 2008 SP2 domain server onto my network. I did not join the TS-509 to the domain, however after a short amount of time the above problem also occurs. It is odd because it happens regardless of whether or not you join the NAS to the domain. It seems to occur as long as you have a server 2008 Active Directory or DNS server on the network. I tried manually entering DNS entries into the DNS server but it has no effect on the problem.

Please note that on my home network, it is DHCP and thus I did not put any DNS server or other information into the System Administration > Network page. The DHCP information comes from my router, I did not install DHCP on the 2008 Server.

I hope a resolution to this problem is forthcoming, I tried a workaround I saw on this forum that involved adding something in the config of the NAS through a file and then adding another name to the UNC path but it did not work and it also seems like a crude solution. Good luck!
andydietl
First post

Post by andydietl »

I have the same problem with TS-659 Pro and the newest OS 3.2.6 Build 0423.
My DomainServers are Windows 2003 and Windows 2008R2.
In my log.smbd there are same messages as described before.

This problem must be to reproduce.
zenimi
New here

Post by zenimi »

I had a similar issue - can access using IP address eg \\192.168.1.10 but not \\NAS. Happens only on my win7 machine, but others running Win7/Vista/XP are fine.

I finally solved it by going to Control Panel/User Accounts/Credential Manager/Window Credentials and remove the share(s) in questions. Looks like a Windows issue and nothing to do with Qnap.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”