Value of AD for Home Network?

Questions about using Windows AD service.
f11
Starting out

Value of AD for Home Network?

Post by f11 »

Is there any real practical value in a home network with no/limited external access being converted to AD?

Am I right in understanding that AD REQUIRES a domain controller, and therefore if the home network is running as a WORKGROUP (in Microsoftese) of peers without a domain controller that AD CAN'T be implemented?

I'm slightly interested in the extremely tight control AD gives the Admin over all aspects of network access and resources, but the hassle of converting everything over to AD is kinda daunting - if it has no practical value for a home-only network system, then it'll remain just "interesting" but unimplemented. There are better ways to spend one's time...

Rod
Ron1
Know my way around

Re: Value of AD for Home Network?

Post by Ron1 »

Hi Mate

AD need a windows server and activating as a domain controller as you described. It provide a very good account control and management which is really necessary in the business environment.

Such as you can allow one account login into his system only in specific time. Also you could deploy some script or software into the specific computer. This is all the things can be done in AD environment.

However, with the QNAP NAS AD ability. It only obtain the account and password info and running as a member server in the AD environment. You have to login as a AD user and can easily use the NAS without any special tuning or setup in the NAS.

In the home environment, I really don't see any benefit implement the whole structure. Also the license for windows server and CALs are really expensive.

Cheers
Ron
Rock n roll TS-409............
f11
Starting out

Re: Value of AD for Home Network?

Post by f11 »

Thanks, Ron - that's what I figured.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”