Grant AD user same rights as local admin user

Questions about using Windows AD service.
pitcherj
First post

Re: Grant AD user same rights as local admin user

Post by pitcherj »

Hello,

A number of years ago we purchased a TS-559 Pro+ unit and inquired about the ability to perform web administration of the device with a domain user.

At that time, we were told that the feature was unavailable, but we did put in a feature request at that time.

We recently purchased a TS-853A unit, and even with the major advances in the UI of the web interface, it remains impossible to administer the unit with a domain account.

I re-inquired about this capability with our new purchase and received the following response:

"No, unfortunately it is not possible to allow domain users to have administrative capabilities for the NAS, only a local user (set in Administrator Group) are able to have such access.

This feature has already been requested and is being analysed for possible implementation, but cannot be guaranteed that will be really implemented.

I would like to thank you for your information and request for feature request, we really appreciate that."
Danixu86
Starting out

Post by Danixu86 »

So maybe is just a way to say "if need work from us, then is surely no". Is not hard to implement because just now is working but it need to be done by commands, so it's not hard to implement a way to make it on the web interface. Just ask the domain for the users and add the users you wish to local groups...
bionicrocky
New here

Post by bionicrocky »

Did the usermod am able to login to the web interface with the AD account, but not SSH. Has anyone gotten that working?
CivicaGritAU
First post

Post by CivicaGritAU »

I've just deployed a QNAP in our office and can't believe that AD users cannot administer a QNAP as standard.
If QNAP are serious about entering the enterprise environment then they need to enable management by AD accounts. I deployed one QNAP as a POC as it has all the file sharing features that I require, but I will not deploy a second unless they enable management by Active Directory and more specifically AD groups.
I did use the usermod command mentioned by Danixu86 in a post in 2016 and this has enabled logins to specified AD users, but this is not a long term solution.
For these commands worked for me (case sensitive)
Add new user
usermod -a -G administrators DOMAIN\\user
List admins
grep ^administrators /etc/group
Remove user
deluser --remove-home DOMAIN\\user
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

complain via ticket..complaining here will not fix anything (we are just users)
KaPeTM
First post

Post by KaPeTM »

DIR

277/5000
I am desperately desperate for the urgent help I have TS TES-1885U-D1521-8GR
I need to use QES due to deduplication - QES 2,0

The client requires logging into the administration panel of the AD domain account

the script?
alternative?
how to deliver it
any ideas ?
sjtsnix
Starting out

Post by sjtsnix »

Thank you for posting this question, as I've just setup my first QNAP NAS (TVS-1282), joined it to my domain, and spent a little time trying to figure out how to add a domain account to the Administrators Group on the TVS-1282... Not finding a way to do so, I landed here an a search of the forums... only to find out, this feature apparently still is not available. I'll head over to the QNAP helpdesk to inquire.... as everyone else apparently has done so...

regards,
sjtsnix
asumos
First post

Post by asumos »

LarsN wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm This is currently not a supported feature, but we'll try to add this in a future firmware release.
7 years later and we are still waiting
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if no feature requests are opened .. nothing will ever change .. QNAP does not come here
ethereum
First post

Post by ethereum »

had the same issue. looked around the UI forever until i basically found the solution myself and happened upon this thread.
don't understand why this isnt a feature. wouldnt be hard to implement.
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

asumos wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:50 am
LarsN wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm This is currently not a supported feature, but we'll try to add this in a future firmware release.
7 years later and we are still waiting
Well, I left the company in 2013 so...
It would seem that the people who took up this job after me, don't really care too much.

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”