[QuMagie] Wrong date taken for PNG photos

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
gotcha
First post

[QuMagie] Wrong date taken for PNG photos

Post by gotcha »

Hello,

I have a large set of scanned PNG photos and I'm struggling to get them at the right date in QuMagie.

When I set the Exif dates (with XNview MP for instance), they are not taken into account by QuMagie that apparently decides use the file creation or modification attribute to determine the date, not the Exif.
I've unsuccessfullytried many different tools to set the date

The only one way I could got the good date in QuMagie was to set the file attributes. The problem is that as soon as I modify a photo in photoshop, the file 'modification date' attribute is reset and then QuMagie considers it was taken today. :?

I don't know if it's specific to PNG files. Apparently, Exif for PNG is new (2017) and it may not yet be taken into account be QuMagie. At least, this is my interpretation.

Any idea/solution for correctly handling PNG files ?
Theliel
Know my way around

Re: [QuMagie] Wrong date taken for PNG photos

Post by Theliel »

Effectively. The EXIF support in PNG is pretty new, I doubt QuMagie / PS have it built in, so the date they use is the file's modification / creation date.

Currently I think I remember that QuMagie uses the old "PHP JPEG Metadata Toolkit" for the extraction of metadata, although on the other hand it also uses Python. Anyway, they don't seem to support png on either side. A major update would be required in handling the reading and writing of file metadata.

You can submit a ticket to see if you are lucky, although anyway, and this is a personal recommendation, I would never recommend using pnp to store photos. Or JPG with a low compression level (90-100% quality), or use TIFF directly. PNG, today, the use that is given is essentially for images with transparencies

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”