TS-253D not playing any video file

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
msnep
New here

TS-253D not playing any video file

Post by msnep »

I'm new here and new to NAS. I bought a TS-253D for the backup, but thought playing videos to TV would be handy as well so I was pleased it has HDMI output. I got the backup up and running, but playing video....

The smart TV is not really smart, there is no streaming client, but it plays any file perfectly from USB disk. So I thought instead I would simply hook up the NAS via the HDMI output to the TV.
After doing many things on the NAS (enable HybridDesk Station, Multimedia services, indexing, video station, and probably some others that I forgot) I'm finally able to browse the video files on the NAS on the TV screen (via HDMI).

Unfortunately, none of the video files I added works. The screen blinks several times while it is trying to " load " the file, but after 30 seconds or so it's done and nothing happens.

So what do I do wrong? Or is this the wrong approach? I have googled for a solution, but I can't really understand if I'm doing something wrong. Also there seem to be some people who only advocate streaming, but that's of course not what I'm trying todo. Maybe the NAS is not able to play video? (I would be surprised tbh)

Btw, the video files work fine when I open them in VLC player on Ubuntu from the network share on the NAS (but of course then all the work is done by VLC).

Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-253D not playing any video file

Post by dolbyman »

Yes..QNAP NAS is a horrible players

But what player are you using on the NAS ? (you can sideload kodi from qnapclub as an okish player)
msnep
New here

Post by msnep »

I think HD Player which is listed within HybridDesk Station.
I've installed Kodi 19 Matrix and clicked yes or no until my fingers fell off to enable (and then I reverted to disable) the dozens of audio/video decoders/addons.
But how to find my videos that are in the /public folder on the NAS? I tried searching though local folders, but it appears only the Kodi app folder is shown (which I can understand from security perspective), but none of the other options (like NFS, SMB) seem to work. I will keep playing with it, maybe I can figure it out.
I also installed the good old VLC player, but it's the same problem.
Maybe the 'video station' should be told to expose the video files to the apps in the HybridDesk station? As you can probably tell I'm not getting the logic structure of how the NAS works yet...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have never used the HDMI port of my NAS, so not sure if you can access files directly or you'd have to open them via network
msnep
New here

Post by msnep »

I found the folder with the files, so it works perfect now. Pretty cool, and lots of other functionality in Kodi for me to explore. Happy it worked out, thanks for the help!
OldYamaha
Starting out

Post by OldYamaha »

msnep wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:28 am I found the folder with the files, so it works perfect now. Pretty cool, and lots of other functionality in Kodi for me to explore. Happy it worked out, thanks for the help!
So what did you have to do to find and use your video? Need some help here too.
:geek:
2 Laptops, Dell 6400's as movie servers
2 Home built PC's with Gigabyte MB's, 16 GB of system ram each, 2 AMD Athalon II X3 455 CPU's
Windows PRO 7 X64, 8.1 Pro x64, and 10 Pro X64

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”