Can the Multimedia Console index a USB drive?

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
martinknutson
New here

Can the Multimedia Console index a USB drive?

Post by martinknutson »

Moving from a 119PII to a 673a running QuTS, so many things are different.

I want to be able to keep some video media on an external USB drive, for both traveling and use in the home. What I want to do is mount it on the 673A and have the media console index it for DLNA devices. I can have the USB mounted, and I can successfully export it for use in AFP/Samba/NFS, including google TV apps like VLC. When I go to the multimedia console, to add it as a content source, it doesn't appear in the list of target directories to select from.

I'm getting the idea that this is simply not possible, although the content indexing would need to be able to deal with content going away behind its back for reasons other than the USB device being unmounted.

Any thoughts?
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Re: Can the Multimedia Console index a USB drive?

Post by Poppy »

Can you not just go to Multimedia Console --> Content Management --> DLNA and add the path to the files to the indexing?

You might find that unmounting the USB drive would have the same effect as deleting them so all the files would be removed from the index and when you reconnect the drive all of the files would be re-indexed. This might not be a problem but you would lose any edits you made after the indexing and thumbnail generation so it might be a lot of hassle.

It might be better to store all the files on the QNAP primarily and sync them to the USB drive for your travelling purposes (QNAP evens provides QSync for you to do that)
martinknutson
New here

Re: Can the Multimedia Console index a USB drive?

Post by martinknutson »

Poppy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:28 pm Can you not just go to Multimedia Console --> Content Management --> DLNA and add the path to the files to the indexing?
Nope. The folder that the QNAP mounts the USB onto doesn't appear as a target in the Content Management screen. Creating a symlink from the mounted directory for the USB drive to one of the directories that CM wants to see appears to work, at least well enough for indexing.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”