Playback from NAS is legging

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
mmorgen
New here

Playback from NAS is legging

Post by mmorgen »

QNAP TVS-1282T3 with the latest firmware. Playback from big UHD files on an OLED Screen interrupts for a second and then plays further. It happens only on UHD material. Normal HD Files do not have this issue.
:cry: Anybody has experienced it?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Playback from NAS is legging

Post by dolbyman »

Try Kodi as a player..or just abandon the HDMI and use an external player (best solution)
mmorgen
New here

Post by mmorgen »

External player? That ** big time
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Why would you want a loud NAS anywhere near your screen ? .. an external Player is the way to go

Also QNAP has a long track record of advertising playback capabilities but is failing to provide any competent playback software (and other tools are just sideloded and can (and do) break frequently)
mmorgen
New here

Post by mmorgen »

Can you advise me a reliable external player, please?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

reliable: Nvidia Shield
cheap: roku,firetv
even cheaper: android player with Kodi
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

stream from nas to hdtv use wired ethernet and also something like plex. the other option is kodi. those are my recommendations.

if you are doing live transcoding, then the cpu of the nas gets factored in if your doing from the nas, and depending on cpu performance it may or may not stutter. there is a plex google sheet for what to expect.

if you use nvidia shield to handle the conversion, u should be fine.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

If you are asking the NAS to playback the file and show you the output on the big screen then you are likely to experience issues of varying sorts. (e.g. Playback on NAS and HDMI connection to screen)

The solution is to have the TV go get the file and play it - this should have no issue with even full 4K UHD files.
Easiest option is DLNA but other third party options will work too.
mmorgen
New here

Post by mmorgen »

Poppy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:04 am If you are asking the NAS to playback the file and show you the output on the big screen then you are likely to experience issues of varying sorts. (e.g. Playback on NAS and HDMI connection to screen)

The solution is to have the TV go get the file and play it - this should have no issue with even full 4K UHD files.
Easiest option is DLNA but other third party options will work too.

I have installed PLEX and it has the same issue as Twanky-they are both legging. The picture sometime freezes it shows "loading" and it goes further. I have had issues with the new router which I thought could source this issue. looks like it wasn't
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you playback is lAgging then either CPU speed of the NAS or network speed is not enough

given the NAS type (and no info about excessive cpu usage) my guess is on the network speed
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

Are you streaming over wired Ethernet or wireless? What other applications and services is the NAS running and do they all share the same disk volume?
Wireless streaming can be very glitchy if there are other devices in play or the NAS may stutter if it has other things to do.
The initial post makes it sounds like a buffering issue - perhaps some coding is not proceeding quickly enough to be streamed cleanly.
mmorgen
New here

Post by mmorgen »

Everything is wired, cat 7... It does also look like buffering to me.
NO other simultanious services running.
Will post tomorrow
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i notice that plex sometimes forces a transcode due to a lack of support of something. for me the issue was the subtitle lack of support for which it then triggered a transcode to burn it into the video to integrate it.....

so if you adjust your setting and are able to playback without triggering an active transcode then it should play fine.

it's only when it transcodes (to convert it live to something it natively supports) that you get hit by resource consumption (specifically the cpu of what is being for transcoding) and if your device is not up to task, then yeah you will get some stutter and buffering.

This was my experience with this on a ts-653a for high bit rate 1080ps. but as soon as i switch to the more powerful ts-877 for the same media, this problem went away.

so if u want to do live transcoding get a more powerful nas, or just get a nvidia shield to perform the playback and it can access the content from your nas just fine. I recommend the later option for most people :X it just works.... (and it also has netflix certification, so you can also get 4k netflix using it as well)
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... -shield-tv

if u want cheaper there is probly some chinese android box, but whether it supports 4k netflix you have to do your own research. last i checked most didn't. Or if your in my situation where your hdtv supports something like a tizen OS, you can run netflix 4k from there, but then use a cheap android box to play other content on the network separately (e.g. from your nas). meaning you don't need an all in one solution, you can separate out what does what best. Just make sure it has codec support for what you plan to playback and check the reviews first how well it works especially for things like streaming media using plex and kodi in particular :' use google, reddit, youtube to find out.

all i know that works for sure is the nvidia shield
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”