Not impressed by QuMagie

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
googleg
Getting the hang of things

Not impressed by QuMagie

Post by googleg »

Hi all,
So after reading several very positive reviews, I finally gave QuMagie a try and made it index my 80-90,000 pictures.

It took a while on my TS-251+, and the system ended up with 2,800 different "faces" on which I now need to put a name.

Many of the 2,800 identified individuals are actually the same person, so my impression is that QuMagie is not that clever at recognizing faces.

Is it a normal outcome to end up with thousands of persons to identify ? Is there a way to force QuMagie to do a second run and refine its results ?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Not impressed by QuMagie

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i think the tech is useful and has potential. but.... last i checked like 2 years + ago or so, it wasn't 100% satisfactory.

In the early phase of qumagie, we had the option to correct incorrectly tagged photos to reposition where qumagie mistakenly thought was a face. but later updates removed that feature. i haven't checked what other solution they added to solve this issue.

also it probably works better on actual people, rather than anime characters, which is what i mostly use it for, for sorting my collection.

i wouldn't go as far as saying it's totally useless, because just imagine if u had hundreds of pictures and u wanted to find ones with person A, so using Qumagie you can filter out pictures that had that person in it. So qumagie is useful for that, even if it's not yet a 100% satisfactory result/experience just yet (the last time i checked).

qumagie functions to group up pictures for EACH individual, and ALSO to point out UNIQUE persons. It also has added features to point out specific object groups and locations. Just think of it as an advanced image filter based on AI detection/analyzing your image collections stored on the NAS.

So that is basically qumagie.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Theliel
Know my way around

Re: Not impressed by QuMagie

Post by Theliel »

QuMagie still has a lot of potential, and QNAP is making steps in the right direction, although it still has a lot of room for improvement. Regarding AI, the facial recognition engine cannot be compared with the one that Google or Facebook may have, they play in another league.

However, be careful when using QuMagie's Face Tagging, all the information is stored in the database, not in the images themselves, which means that if the content is reindexed for any reason, you lose all the work you've done. For me, it is the main problem that identification and labeling have for now. In the latest versions of QuMagie, they have already internally implemented a threshold to recognize more/less, although such an option is not exposed yet. They have also given support to the Coral TPU to greatly speed up facial identification, which is appreciated.

Personally, as I have said other times, I prefer to perform facial recognation outside the NAS (using DigiKam in my case), where the data is stored in their own metadata, and that QuMagie can read correctly, although it does not treat them as "people" but as "tags". But the use is really the same when it comes to searching or filtering.

On the other hand, it's a very useful tool when it comes to sharing photos with family or friends, filtering by geolocation, searching for objects... I repeat, it's not Google Photos, but for its own tool it's not too bad, and we hope that Over time, it will be perfected.

For me, it would be almost perfect if they just made it compatible with the facial region standards in the metadata, allow a custom threshold, and improve the workflow when editing/tagging directly from the photos themselves.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”