Video Station

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
kalua1001
New here

Video Station

Post by kalua1001 »

Dear all,

after a long time I wanted to use Video Station on my TS 451+ finally to watch films.
I can start it and see some films (from the wrong folder), but when I try to change it, it gets only a white screen and nothing happens anymore.
Also the local Video station I could not use yet - there was either a strange screen to log in, or nothing at all.
I was so happy to have a QNAP, which I can use as a Media central, but somehow due to the slow connection via webinterface and all the issues I am already frustrated.

Thanks for any help
Kalua
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Video Station

Post by dolbyman »

Best to abandon all QNAP apps and switch to plex,emby,jellyfin,etc they all have QNAP apps.

Also make VERY sure to never expose any part of the NAS to WAN or your NAS could be victim in current or future malware attacks
kalua1001
New here

Post by kalua1001 »

ok, thought, that they are ok
as I remember there is a malware remover installed, so hopefully not a victim of it.
And I did not have direct WAN contact, just via the QNAP cloud link
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

malware remover does not protect you and can only remove known infections..so not useful for new variants...never ever expose the nas..you have been warned,no tears
kalua1001
New here

Post by kalua1001 »

Thanks, but any recommendation, what to do to check?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

could be a codec issue, QNAP crippled their ffmpeg version a couple years ago (we think due to codec licensing issues), if you need transcoding , you need to install Canyin Player for the needed codecs
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

Logging onto the QNAP and having it play you a film or similar is not ideal and generally gives poor performance.
To greatly improve this, you can log onto the QNAP and have Video Station send a film to a media receiver (e.g. your TV) or you can enable DLNA via the Media Streaming Add-on and then access your films from your TV or other media system. Both of these options work perfectly well for most people.

Not sure what you mean by "see some films from the wrong folder"
kalua1001
New here

Post by kalua1001 »

I wrote "wrong folder", as Video Station just uses a folder, which is not my Multimedia Folder - when I want to change the folder, I get a white screen and nothing happens.
So I will try to use Plex like dolbyman wrote, no problem, but the problem is for me a real poor performance.
When I bought the NAS I was sure I can use it as a multimedia player, as a linux or windows computer.
But when I connect to a screen, I realize the poor performance.

So I have another question, whether I can check internal or even from outside, if I got malware?
Thanks
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

kalua1001 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:06 pm When I bought the NAS I was sure I can use it as a multimedia player, as a linux or windows computer.
But when I connect to a screen, I realize the poor performance.
Different models have different performance capabilities. Some work better than others. Personally, I use the NAS as media storage and use a media player box to access the files via a samba share (not a fan of the Plex interface). The QNAP video apps are very basic and are essentially just there to tick a marketing box. The most common approach is to use the Plex app as it gives you a lot of flexibility.
kalua1001 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:06 pm So I have another question, whether I can check internal or even from outside, if I got malware?
Best to post in another are so that as it is off topic for here. Check the "deadbolt" threads (see links in the signature under my post). In there you will find many things you can do to see if you have been infected with Deadbolt (the most recent malware). Hint: Open an SSH shell and use the "find" command to look for files with the name "deadbolt".
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Muphin
Getting the hang of things

Post by Muphin »

:cry: Why are you using Video Station to play your video?

PLEX and EMBY are great BUT they are DNLA servers, not good if your TV does not support DNLA. The ts-451+ has a HDMI port at the back, use it - NAS direct to TV. Try QNAPS HD Player. HD Player is KODI modified to suit QNAP's software.

Has the pathway (folders) in Video Station to your video been assigned?
Have you installed Multimedia Console? Cayinsign?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

To use the HDMI port is exactly the wrong way around these are NAS NOT players.

Plex has a DLNA component..but that is only fallback...Plex with the Plex app .. thats the way to go
Qpace

Post by Qpace »

Does anyone know how I can generate thumbnails in VideoStation?
From what I read on the internet this seems like a common issue, maybe there is a better video management solution?

Regards,

Pace
Last edited by Qpace on Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yes there is better solutions, see post #2 in this very thread

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”