Multimedia Point to External Drive

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
obiwanKenobi
Getting the hang of things

Multimedia Point to External Drive

Post by obiwanKenobi »

Is there some way to point the multimedia console for content to an external source

I have limited disk space on my Qnap but much more on another external NAS where I have a large collection of photos
I'd like to try the QNAP multimedia tools and especially QuMagie and QNAP Ai Core to these photos. Ever since the demise of free storage from google photos I have been looking for an alternative that offers something similar in finding faces, aggregating albums based on a variety of factors, and recognizing things in the photos
Google photos made my photo collection useful and fun. It was easy to find things with the search function
I've tried connecting via Hybrid Mount successfully but the connection/folder does not appear as a choice to add to the content sources for multimedia

Appreciate any guidance

Thanks,
lohiggins
New here

Re: Multimedia Point to External Drive

Post by lohiggins »

Hi, Just wondering if you had any follow up on this elsewhere, or perhaps solved the problem - as I am now in a similar position.

Thanks,
obiwanKenobi
Getting the hang of things

Post by obiwanKenobi »

Multiple interactions and activity @lohiggins
At this point what I know is

1) You cannot install the core engine in any other location than the main system volume
2) The Core engine volume determines the location where the thumbnails and search indexes are stored on
3) Even if you install the other apps on another (the larger volume) the system volume is still used to store the snapshots/thumbnails etc

The only solution I have found is to create an alternative system volume location that is larger and move to that
Disappointing but there seems no other way

Hope that helps
lohiggins
New here

Post by lohiggins »

Thanks. The larger volume is on an older NAS, where the Video Station is not being updated and is of a poorer quality when playing, which is why I want the newer NAS to mount the remote drive.
The work around is to copy over what I want to view as needed, again a pain, but if that is what is needed....

Cheers.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”