TS-470 Pro cannot play h.265 Iphone videos

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Angrygreengiant
Starting out

TS-470 Pro cannot play h.265 Iphone videos

Post by Angrygreengiant »

Hi All. I am so frustrated and tech support is not being any help. I have a TS-470 Pro running firmware version 4.3.6.2050. For some reason, I am unable to play (or even see on Qphoto) my family videos recorded on an iPhone. It worked before, but now it doesn't. It appears they removed my ability to use Codexpack and even Plex isn't working because they want us to buy a license for Cayin. However, Cayin can't be installed on my system because it's only for QTS 4.4.1 or higher. It doesn't show up in the app center. Apparently they says my device is "no longer being supported" but I am beyond angry that they forced my device to stop working. Are there any workarounds or ways to be able to view my videos from my iphone or televisions that are connected to my NAS? I invested too much money for this setup for it to be a worthless paperweight because they want me to buy a new one instead.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-470 Pro cannot play h.265 Iphone videos

Post by dolbyman »

Plex has it's own codecs .. so there is no way this would be related to codex pack or Canyin Player.

So retry Plex and post the exact error message. Also make sure you never expose Qphoto (or any other QNAP part to WAN) .. otherwise you will be even more angry
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=164797
Angrygreengiant
Starting out

Plex for IOS requires Plex media server version 1.18.3 or higher. The only one showing up on my App Center on the NAS is 1.16.6 with no ability to update. QNAP straight up told me it is "no longer being supported for application or OS updates" which seems crazy to me. It isn't that old.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You download the Plex qpkg from Plex, not from QNAP

https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/media-server-downloads/
Angrygreengiant
Starting out

Thank you. However, my model does not show up under their compatible NAS list. Also, it gives me these options to download and I don't know which one mine would fall under.

-Intel/AMD 64-bit (QTS-4.3 and newer)
-ARMv8 (TS-x28, and TS-x32 Series)
-ARMv7 (TS-x31, and TS-x31U Series)
-ARMv7 (TS-x31+, TS-x31P, TS-x31P2, TS-x31X, and TS-x31XU Series)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

mmh.. then you could abandon QTS and switch to something like unRaid

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comment ... s_awesome/
Angrygreengiant
Starting out

That looks very complicated for my pea brain to be able to do. At this point, I don't trust QNAP because of the malware/viruses that I had to deal with on it a couple of years back and this is just icing on the cake. I wish there was a simple solution to just house all of my family photos and 4k videos that I can just watch lag free from my phone or tv any time without paying a subscription like google or apple or having to be a computer networking genius.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Easy is hard to secure (and criminals bank on users doing that)... there is still rampant malware circulating for QNAP users exposing their devices (deadbolt) .. this will probably never change.

What you can do, buy a small android device or miniPC, use the NAS as storage and the miniPC/andoird as Plex Server.

To access share files on the go, use free file hoster account or pay a bit of cash for an account. There is ways to do it yourself, but they are not easy as that.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”