Stuck trying to get thumbnails

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
technotechno
New here

Stuck trying to get thumbnails

Post by technotechno »

Hi all,
I hope this is the correct place to ask about this. I'm trying to work out how to get thumbnails visible in the Qfile App on my android phone.

I have a backup of all my photos on my QNAP HS-210 NAS with the latest firmware. I have the latest Qfile app on my phone.
I dont get any thumbnails at all when browsing images.

If I go to the qnap cloud web page and try to even view images I get the message...
"Generating thumbnails for multimedia files require Multimedia Console. Go to App Center to install and start Multimedia Console, and then enable multimedia playback settings in File Station."

I also googled about thumbnails and found a page saying...
"Log in to the QTS as an administrator.

Open App Center.

Install and enable Multimedia Console.
Thumbnails and previews generate automatically after installing Multimedia Console"

If I open QFinder and login to my NAS, and go to all apps, multimedia console isnt listed in there, nothing shows up in a search either.
Can anyone help me or tell me what I am suposed to do to view images via the myQNAPcloud web page and how to get thumbnails to show in the android QFile app.

Regards.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Stuck trying to get thumbnails

Post by dolbyman »

Stop this immediately, this NAS is not supported anymore for cloudlink, so what you are doing right now is direct exposing your NAS to WAN

See here how many millions this has cost QNAP users so far in ransom payments
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=164797

Disable upnp and manual port forwards on the router. If you want to access the NAS from WAN, use a VPN (does not cost anything) with the server on a good router or dedicated appliance
technotechno
New here

Post by technotechno »

Alright my man, upnp disbaled on router.

Is the NAS too old to support the multimedia console app? I'm assuming only compatiable apps show up then? Hence why things like Plex isnt on there.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I don't use the QNAP multimedia apps, (Photo,Video,Music,etc) Station as QNAP is known to produce wonky multimedia software (does not work and/or is insecure)

Plex will not work on that as NAS as the 15year old Marvel x19 platform is too slow for anything. (and will not get any new software from QNAP, only occasional security fixes)

I have a 419p+ and it works great as a NAS, just via SMB nothing else.. rock solid
technotechno
New here

Post by technotechno »

Thanks for the advise.
Going to look at upgrading it at some point.
Muphin
Getting the hang of things

Post by Muphin »

technotechno,

Had the same problem some months ago. The solution is simple, INSTALL "CAYIN MEDIASIGN PLAYER". Available in the APP Center and FREE to QNAP users.
Licensing is a bit tricky.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

CAYIN MEDIASIGN PLAYER is not available for old NAS like the HS-210

max Firmware is 4.3.3 CAYIN needs min 4.4.3
RAM is fixed 512MB CAYIN needs min 2GB

see here
https://www.qnap.com/en/software/cayin-mediasign-player
Muphin
Getting the hang of things

Post by Muphin »

technotechno,
UPGRADE!!!
Try ts-253D/ts-453D or hs-264 or hs-453DX. All designed for video output via HDMI 2.0.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”