Missing video files on TV for media folders

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
horstwalter
New here

Missing video files on TV for media folders

Post by horstwalter »

When I access my QNAP with my TV I do not see some VIDEO files in the folder list (by folder). The files are listed directly after a "rebuild media indexing", but shortly after disappear.

I cannot see a pattern or rule. The folder only contains around 50 video files. Other folders with more files are shown completely. In SMB the files are visible too. In total I am having about 2500 video files distributed over 3 harddisks and 10 media folders.

Any ideas?
Could it be the filename length, number of dots "." in the filename, anything like this?

TS509
latest firmware, right now 4.2.6.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Missing video files on TV for media folders

Post by dolbyman »

with your previous issues of generating and maintaining media files..I'd say abandon media serving on the qnap and switch to a player that can index smb sources (the NAS) ..something like Kodi on a cheap android stick

even if you are encountering a bug, that NAS is so old that qnap will not fix these (long EOL)
horstwalter
New here

Post by horstwalter »

Yep, as workaround I use my Laptop to watch the videos. However, I am still looking for a solution:

The whole issue seems to be caused by the thumbnail generation (assumption, not 100% sure). Unfortunately the generation cannot be turned off. I have disabled generation in the File Station, but the Multimedia Console does not exists in my version of QNAP. Only have the Media Streaming Add-on.

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... le-station

I also wonder if I can replace the whole MediaLibrary by 3rd Party, but have not found anything yet. The whole setup of the media library IMHO is a bit messy. Some parts need to be set in the DLNA Media Server, some in the Media Library, others in the addon.
Muphin
Getting the hang of things

Post by Muphin »

horstwalter,
For once I agree with dolbyman. The ts-509 is not designed to be a media server. You are chasing windmills getting the ts-509 to do what you want.

Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a NAS that IS designed as a data/media server such as the ts-253D/ts-453D (https://www.qnapshop.com.au/qnap-ts-253 ... j4125-quad).
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Muphin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:20 am You are chasing windmills ...
Mixed-partial-metaphors aside, I agree. Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”