Speed Up Thumbnail Generation in Photo Station or Import Thumbnails?

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
serjog
Starting out

Speed Up Thumbnail Generation in Photo Station or Import Thumbnails?

Post by serjog »

Hi All,

Is there any chance to somehow speed up thumbnail generation on QNAP NAS TS-251+? I have large collection of photos ~40k and it seems the thumbnail generation is dragging for ages i.e. 1 thumbnail roughly 11 seconds... that a few days of generation. Also looking on the resource monitor, the CPU and RAM are not heavily utilized, hence the question, is there any chance to speed up the process?

On other hand, is there any way maybe to import thumbnails somehow from PC? it's just on the Qfile android app, there is an option to generated thumbnails and upload them to NAS. As such, if there would be such option between NAS and PC, my i5 would chew through the task pretty swiftly?!

Any advise/ suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
johnson407
Easy as a breeze

Re: Speed Up Thumbnail Generation in Photo Station or Import Thumbnails?

Post by johnson407 »

you can use the qfinder utility on your pc to upload pictures to your nas.
photoman
Starting out

Post by photoman »

Can definitely confirm that thumbnail generation is very slow. I have a TS-219P and having just installed 2x4TB HDDs, set up Photo Station on Tuesday 15th to catalogue 58k+ photos, it just finished earlier today (Monday 21st).
serjog
Starting out

Post by serjog »

johnson407 wrote:you can use the qfinder utility on your pc to upload pictures to your nas.
I've tried this option and indeed it have the possibility to create thumbnails while uploading the data. But it's not fitting myself as I full photo collection on the NAS drive already that I have transferred via Windows explorer, so it's just generating of the thumbnails is required so I can use Q photo?
irovder
New here

Post by irovder »

It is still the same in 2021! It's a shame Qnap did not solve this problem as the NAS (TS-230) is extremely slow for many days and other jobs (syncing...) are not working properly while generating thumbnails and recognizing people, objects and similar photos. There should be a way to increase priority to High so the photo jobs are done as fast as possible as the NAS is not usable till it's done anyway.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”