Video Station not transcoding MKV

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
ichalos
Starting out

Re: Video Station not transcoding MKV

Post by ichalos »

juanca2000 wrote:By the way for intel based NAS like the TS-251+ can we use VA (?) 4.2.7 or only 4.2.3.0 .
Yes, 4.2.7 works on Intel based models. I own a 453 pro and 4.2.7D works fine.
juanca2000
Starting out

Post by juanca2000 »

Trexx wrote:As has been stated many times before, MKV support was NOT removed. AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS support was due to the vendors wanting licensing $$$ from Qnap.

I have given QNAP some suggestions on how potentially a middle ground could be achieved via a seperate license (similar to the new ExFat licensing options that just came out). Whether anything will happen along those lines... I have no idea.
Thanks for the correction but anyway I don't really care what the container is.. if MKV or AVI or any other. In 2017 removing compatibility to AC3/DTS and other licensed sounds is basically killing any multimedia feature. Today even mobiles phones, videocams, and other portable devices are using licenced sound and not to mention movies...

When I selected the NAS it was part of their sales arguments, commercial etc.. It was also tested and confirmed by a lot of review websites. If Qnap sold a feature forgetting to pay for some of the licensing, then they should deal with consequences not their customers who trusted Qnap. It is just a money issue and dolby and other similiar companies are trying to make extra money ..ok fine... but that is not my problem it is qnap's problem.

I bought a specific NAS among all others (models and brands) for the technical specificy and functions included and paid for it. It is too just too easy just to disable something that was sold to customers because you fear less their reaction than the lawyer's one from those sound companies. I moved from one arm to a intel based NAS for transcoding. Now I am back to the same situation as my ARM based model but with a couple of hundreds notes less in my pocket. Fully unacceptable.
ccolotti
Starting out

Post by ccolotti »

I have also just tested both the 4.2.3 and 4.2.7 versions on a TVS-671 and both work with MKV files. So does anyone know:

- Is this fixed permanently in QTS 4.3 versions of the CodeX app?
- Will there be a post 4.2.10 version that works again?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

juanca2000 wrote:
Thanks for the correction but anyway I don't really care what the container is.. if MKV or AVI or any other. In 2017 removing compatibility to AC3/DTS and other licensed sounds is basically killing any multimedia feature. Today even mobiles phones, videocams, and other portable devices are using licenced sound and not to mention movies...

When I selected the NAS it was part of their sales arguments, commercial etc.. It was also tested and confirmed by a lot of review websites. If Qnap sold a feature forgetting to pay for some of the licensing, then they should deal with consequences not their customers who trusted Qnap. It is just a money issue and dolby and other similiar companies are trying to make extra money ..ok fine... but that is not my problem it is qnap's problem.

I bought a specific NAS among all others (models and brands) for the technical specificy and functions included and paid for it. It is too just too easy just to disable something that was sold to customers because you fear less their reaction than the lawyer's one from those sound companies. I moved from one arm to a intel based NAS for transcoding. Now I am back to the same situation as my ARM based model but with a couple of hundreds notes less in my pocket. Fully unacceptable.
Not disagreeing that QNAP could have communicated better about the issue.

That being said, there are multiple avenues for addressing the issue though (Plex, Emby, Kodi via both HD Station & Linux Station to name a few). Some of those can leverage the HW transcoding capabilities and some can not, but all of them provide an option to playback Dolby & DTS videos either in a local and/or remote manner.

So I would disagree with the characterization that there are NO options available now for playback.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
juanca2000
Starting out

Post by juanca2000 »

well they might be external solutions some free some not, some working with HW accelaration some just CPU.. but those as said are external and it creates another dependency to other products and other policies that can change from a day to another. (without speaking of compatibility with all devices mobiles / android TV boxes/ apple tV etc...)

What would you say if the company of your HD TV set just disable the HD tuner because they dont want to pay for licencing HD TV and from now on you only can watch SD TV with integrated tuner? Of course you can buy an external tuner and you will be able to watch again through your HDMI input HD TV .. but you bought a TV including HD tuner from the start and pay for it... for me this is the same, we had a functionality which we paid for and probably selected the NAS because that functionality was present and now by software update Qnap has just decided to remove it. Same as my example of HD TV receiver.

I am very greatefull to all of you here giving alternative solutions and workarounds (thanks thanks thanks !!!) Nevertheless Qnap has tricked all existing customers using this feature for a couple of $ and is avoiding to take responsibility for their mistake. Once the NAS is sold it is not their problem anymore.. might be the new policy of Qnap... not sure...

This move of Qnap is extremely unfair to their customers and as said I feel completely tricked in this story. I am not sure why you don't feel the same. While working on alternative solutions we also should strongly put pressure on Qnap to restore the NAS to its original conditions and features. You cannot remove a feature that was present and was part of product specs and commercials and people bought without consequences.. If they refund everybody asking for it as the NAS is not performing as when initially bought, then ok but I have not heard they intend to do so.

Thanks again here for your alternative solutions, advices, workarounds, etc but please don't forget what is the real root cause.
ichalos
Starting out

Post by ichalos »

ccolotti wrote:Is this fixed permanently in QTS 4.3 versions of the CodeX app?
I am using QTS 4.3.2 (Beta) and still no fix.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

juanca2000 wrote:well they might be external solutions some free some not, some working with HW accelaration some just CPU.. but those as said are external and it creates another dependency to other products and other policies that can change from a day to another. (without speaking of compatibility with all devices mobiles / android TV boxes/ apple tV etc...)

What would you say if the company of your HD TV set just disable the HD tuner because they dont want to pay for licencing HD TV and from now on you only can watch SD TV with integrated tuner? Of course you can buy an external tuner and you will be able to watch again through your HDMI input HD TV .. but you bought a TV including HD tuner from the start and pay for it... for me this is the same, we had a functionality which we paid for and probably selected the NAS because that functionality was present and now by software update Qnap has just decided to remove it. Same as my example of HD TV receiver.

I am very greatefull to all of you here giving alternative solutions and workarounds (thanks thanks thanks !!!) Nevertheless Qnap has tricked all existing customers using this feature for a couple of $ and is avoiding to take responsibility for their mistake. Once the NAS is sold it is not their problem anymore.. might be the new policy of Qnap... not sure...

This move of Qnap is extremely unfair to their customers and as said I feel completely tricked in this story. I am not sure why you don't feel the same. While working on alternative solutions we also should strongly put pressure on Qnap to restore the NAS to its original conditions and features. You cannot remove a feature that was present and was part of product specs and commercials and people bought without consequences.. If they refund everybody asking for it as the NAS is not performing as when initially bought, then ok but I have not heard they intend to do so.

Thanks again here for your alternative solutions, advices, workarounds, etc but please don't forget what is the real root cause.
Think of this example...

You have a TV that has a connection for OTA Antenna and it worked just fine. A couple years after you bought it, they changed the standard from analog to digital and now your integrated tuner doesn't work. So to now make it work, you now have to use a separate box for the tuner. Is it ideal... no, but it is functional.

There are Smart TV's that have apps that are no longer supported/maintained by the vendors. In some cases that lack of support has rendered the apps useless as they are no longer compatible with the services (Netflix, Vudu, etc.) they connect with. Maybe the vendor didn't want to spend the $$'s to maintain the app or maybe the HW couldn't support the new changes required. The TV still performs though it's primary function... being a TV.

At the end of the day, I bought the QNAP to be a NAS. The other functions are nice and I leverage them, but when I did my research my first requirement was I needed a NAS. Having those other features may have influenced my decision regarding brand a vs. b, but they didn't change it's core purpose.

Since I have multiple options/workarounds to address a secondary function, I guess I am less inclined to get worked up about it vs. if they broke the boxes primary function (being a NAS).

My assumption is that QNAP would have had to pay Dolby/DTS licensing fees for every NAS they sold where the user COULD leverage that capability, irregardless of whether they actually did or not. Evidently at this point in time that didn't make sense to QNAP to do for whatever reason.

I have suggested, and I hope at some point, they do offer an option to re-enable the functionality through a license add-on feature similar to ExFat. And before assuming that QNAP didn't pay the license fee, I would verify that Dolby/DTS didn't change the rules around WHO has to pay for licenses to make some extra $$$.

At this point, we can debate the right/wrong of things all we want, but it is not going to change anything. This is a COMMUNITY support forum which is not monitored by QNAP (other than the presales area it seems).

You can always provide feedback to QNAP via https://helpdesk.qnap.com or via your checkbook through your purchasing choices.

PS.
Just as an FYI, not that long ago (within the last couple years from what I remember) Synology users experienced a similar situation around AC3/DTS support changing for their app. Not sure where that stands today.
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

ichalos wrote:
ccolotti wrote:Is this fixed permanently in QTS 4.3 versions of the CodeX app?
I am using QTS 4.3.2 (Beta) and still no fix.
The functionality was removed intentionally by QNAP due to licensing reasons (based on our understanding).

Unless QNAP decides to change their position in terms of licensing, or offers some option to purchase the license on an individual level, the functionality is not likely to return.
Paul

FurtadoNAS
New here

Post by FurtadoNAS »

Hi,

I have an AMD based NAS. The TVS-673. Would anyone have a compatible CodexPack compatilbe with my NAS that works with AC3??

Thank you!
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

FurtadoNAS wrote:Hi,

I have an AMD based NAS. The TVS-673. Would anyone have a compatible CodexPack compatilbe with my NAS that works with AC3??

Thank you!
Doesn't exist.
Paul

homebody1966
Starting out

Post by homebody1966 »

i am having the same issue
was there a solution?
juanca2000
Starting out

Post by juanca2000 »

@Trexx
We will probably not agree, there was no standard /norm change (as in your example, AC3 was and is standard for a lot of movies, videos etc..) but just a removal of an existant feature which they have used and abused in all comercial, they were selling it and part of the specs !
In the case of the TS-X51+ these are not simply NAS but multimedia boxes (including HDMI output) and a lot of video, music, photo features etc..
To me it is a part of the box not just a nice to have and I am sure some other bought it for those extra multimedia feature of the model TS-x51+
Now to the solutions they could use a additional licence option they should provide for free to exising customers of multimedia NAS and charge new customers once they will modify the specs and descriptions on their products, which they have not done yet..

Qnap owe us a solution on this no doubt possible and this as soon as possible ! It is not to be bad with them but just to get what we paid for.
JillyPolla
New here

Post by JillyPolla »

What would be the best way to express to QNAP our dissatisfaction with them? I bought a TS-451+ recently precisely for streaming MKV and was pretty disappointed to see that it had been removed. Having to use an older package is definitely no good.
juanca2000
Starting out

Post by juanca2000 »

i think it will be good to send a ticket to technical service so there is a trace in their ticketing system and may the can do a feedback to an upper level, then I have also sent a message to the sales department locally and to the headquarters (Taiwain).

See link below for worldwide contact:

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/about/con_sh ... wone&cid=1

I think if everyone of us lets them know how disappointed and tricked we feel may be (or not..) they will work on a solution.
Unfortunately the issue seems not to be very recent some users were affected already back in March 2016 if I understood it correctly.. so nothing moved since then...
FurtadoNAS
New here

Post by FurtadoNAS »

Trexx wrote:
FurtadoNAS wrote:Hi,

Thank you!
Doesn't exist.

Very disappointing... I'll give plex a go.

Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”