Video Station not transcoding MKV

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
crystalgipsy
Starting out

Re: Video Station not transcoding MKV

Post by crystalgipsy »

I'm on latest QTS 4.3.3.0299 and all working
buiz_
Starting out

Post by buiz_ »

All working as in transcoding to all resolutions incl 320p using 4.2.7.d?

EDIT/UPDATE: I updated the firmware and the codec and I still can't transcode AC3/DTS. I guess it was too much to hope for that QNAP would un-nerf their codec without announcing it. Has anyone had any success with the old 4.2.7.d codec on the latest firmware?
af123
New here

Post by af123 »

hmm, i installed 4.2.3 codec pack, but... it seems that the app was automatically upgradedto 4.5.0 version again!
Is there any way to prevent the upgrade? And even better, to disable 'pending actualization' notification with 4.2.3 pack installed?
greeky
Starting out

Post by greeky »

af123 wrote:hmm, i installed 4.2.3 codec pack, but... it seems that the app was automatically upgradedto 4.5.0 version again!
Is there any way to prevent the upgrade? And even better, to disable 'pending actualization' notification with 4.2.3 pack installed?
you have enable auto-update?
TS-453A
metal450
Starting out

Post by metal450 »

I just made the mistake of upgrading from 4.2.3 to 4.3.4 (which updates from a 32-bit to 64-bit OS), and was notified that the CodexPack I'd been using - CodexPack_4.2.7.D_x86_64_VA_20160530.qpkg - is no longer compatible. Thus, I was forced to upgrade to the one on the app store, which broke MKV transcoding. Has anyone been able to get this working again on a 4.3.x (aka 64-bit) QTS...?
buiz_
Starting out

Post by buiz_ »

Not here. I deployed Plex instead. It works.
metal450
Starting out

Post by metal450 »

buiz_ wrote:Not here. I deployed Plex instead. It works.
As I understand, Plex doesn't use hardware transcoding - it's just software. Which won't be able to keep up with very high-res videos, or if the CPU is bogged down doing other stuff. No?
buiz_
Starting out

Post by buiz_ »

Works well for me (i3). The only annoyance is that you have to pay an annual subscription if you want the ability to download transcoded videos to your device for offline access. I'm generally impressed with Plex, it has proven to be the solution I was looking for to make all my videos available to me at any time, anywhere on any unit.
metal450
Starting out

Post by metal450 »

Yeah, i3. Mine is a Celeron (TS-453A) - not beefy enough to do software transcoding. Thus, the bait-and-switch: they sold me a unit claiming it can do hardware transcoding...then they removed its ability to do hardware transcoding :P
virtualdj
Experience counts

Post by virtualdj »

metal450 wrote:then they removed its ability to do hardware transcoding
That's disappointing, also considering that now AC3 decoding should be free as the patent has expired. I hope that QNAP will soon fix this.
In the mean time, I read somewhere that there's an Emby beta version that supports hardware transcoding (through ffmpeg VAAPI), you can try it and see if it works with MKV (I didn't tried myself).
m.bensel
Starting out

Post by m.bensel »

Qnap will fix nothing!
metal450
Starting out

Post by metal450 »

virtualdj wrote:I read somewhere that there's an Emby beta version that supports hardware transcoding (through ffmpeg VAAPI), you can try it and see if it works with MKV (I didn't tried myself).
Awesome!! I tried Emby like 6mo back, but it didn't support hardware transcoding at that point - just tried this new package & it seems to be working beautifully. Thank god for the community of developers, who offer fixes/replacements for QNap's never-ending ineptitude :P
FizzNuts
Getting the hang of things

Post by FizzNuts »

metal450 wrote:
buiz_ wrote:Not here. I deployed Plex instead. It works.
As I understand, Plex doesn't use hardware transcoding - it's just software. Which won't be able to keep up with very high-res videos, or if the CPU is bogged down doing other stuff. No?
No. Plex will utilize some hardware transcoding technologies (CPU/GPU). Don't ask me what they are, I just know that it has been implemented.
Jesse

Model: TS-453A 16GB FW: 4.3.3.0404 Build: 20171213
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS
Media Boxes: XBOX One, Yamaha Aventage Receiver
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

so far only QSV and that is for Plex Pass users only ... but that might change in the future
Pacebreaker
First post

Post by Pacebreaker »

Hi. Does this still work? Should I install all files?

I meant the files from first page of this topic.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”