Image quality in Photo station / QPhoto

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
careysb
New here

Re: Image quality in Photo station / QPhoto

Post by careysb »

JMO91 wrote:Hi,
This is the reason why I currently have a Syno and a Qnap NAS side by side.
Syno DSPhoto rendering of photos is far better than QNAP Qphoto App.
Workaround could be Plex, however Qnap will never go to sleep mode if Plex is installed
Tell me more about the Plex/sleep issue. I was thinking of using Plex.
browncamry
New here

Post by browncamry »

Thanks for the comments.

I've been looking for a new NAS, and one of the primary features I'm after is the Photo Station feature. I'm tossing up between a TS-453A, and the Synology DS-916+.

I have a Nikon D810 and basically want to be able to dump all my NEF files in the NAS, have Photo Station convert the files to preview jpgs etc. The image quality in preview needs to be excellent quality.

I really want to get a TS-453A but it seems like the Synology DS-916+ might do better for my purposes. Really hoping that somebody convince me otherwise!?
JMO91
Starting out

Post by JMO91 »

Hello browncamry,

Sorry for my late answer.
I own a Syno & a QNAP NAS.
I have both because they all have pros & cons.

For the photo usage, it's clear that the Syno app is FAR better than the QNAP (on the iPAD Air). Image quality is highly reduced on the Qnap mobile App. That's why I opened this tread :)
There are some improvements in the last version by my wife asked me to keep the Syno because she likes the Syno Photo Station and consider the QNap Photo app not finished :)

However there is something missing on the Syno that I need : encryption. Encryption implementation is perfect on Qnap and horrible on the Syno (you cannot encrypt photo, vidéo and audio), you have limitations with file name length. Encryption is really slow on the Syno. No difference whith encryption on the Qnap when writing/reading.
I cannot accept that someone steal my NAS and access everything on it, just with an administrator password reset...

Not an easy choice. Hope this helps !
JMO91
Starting out

Post by JMO91 »

careysb wrote:
JMO91 wrote:Hi,
This is the reason why I currently have a Syno and a Qnap NAS side by side.
Syno DSPhoto rendering of photos is far better than QNAP Qphoto App.
Workaround could be Plex, however Qnap will never go to sleep mode if Plex is installed
Tell me more about the Plex/sleep issue. I was thinking of using Plex.
On my TS251C, Plex prevent the disks to hibernate. NO GO for me.
hermanxmz
Starting out

Post by hermanxmz »

Just as a wrap up of my post in this thread few months ago. I now switched to another brand of NAS. It is a shame for the excellent hardware. I like the virtualization feature too in which I can run full Windows server in the NAS smoothly after I upgrade the RAM. But photo display quality and user friendly interface optimized for big TV screen is my primary usage. I need to stop further wasting time hoping and pursuading QNAP for improvement.
hermanxmz
Starting out

Post by hermanxmz »

Lesson learn : Buy a basic / cheapest model to try out the important features, giving them a trial period say 3 months before committing to expensive model. No matter what brand. Yes, basic model unlikely to support real time video format transcoding. At least, I can try to see what formats support.
JAFO818
New here

Post by JAFO818 »

When viewing photos on my iPhone 6 I tend to use Qfile instead of Qphoto because the quality is full resolution and I can zoom in and look at the details. I also can't stand the terrible low res thumbnails in Qphoto.

I hope this is enhanced in a future release.
hgpuke
Starting out

Post by hgpuke »

Before I found this thread, I opened a support case towards QNAP (day before yesterday) to report about the low quality rendering in Photo Station. The support agent acted like (s)he had never heard about it. As this thread is now a year or so old, and several of you have reported it earlier, it seems like a very strange behaviour. I was previously a Synology user, but found that their NAS:es didn't have the horsepower required to do things like transcoding in Plex or running a virtual machine (at least not in the consumer models), so I switched over to QNAP. For the most part I am happy about the switch but the Photo Station was a BIG letdown... Thinking about going back to Synology now...
-----
TS-453mini (4x4TB WD Red RAID-5, with 2 "fat" volumes) QTS 4.2.1. iMac, PC, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (Android)
dibe
New here

Post by dibe »

Wow, so I have one of the most feature-rich NAS systems in the world and it has an HDMI output with 4K resolution and I don't have a way to show pictures in high quality? Is there really no way, no other app, that will allow me to display picutres in UHD/4K on a 4K TV that is connected to the HDMI? Any help is welcome. This was the number one use-case for me to get a NAS with 4K output HDMI and a large 4K OLED TV. What a bummer if that is really not possible.

Thanks,
Dirk

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”