QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
FizzNuts
Getting the hang of things

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by FizzNuts »

teoreds wrote:I opened a ticket to QNAP Help Desk and this is the answer

"there is no way to get AC3 to work on the NAS since this has been removed from all firmware due to licensing issue
it is expecting that this will be solved in the future and that this functionallity will be restored but not at this moment"

looks like they are receiving a lot of complaints...
I've also opened a ticket, referencing that wiki link, also hinting that this could be grounds for a class action lawsuit. Who knows, can't hurt right?
Jesse

Model: TS-453A 16GB FW: 4.3.3.0404 Build: 20171213
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS
Media Boxes: XBOX One, Yamaha Aventage Receiver
teoreds
New here

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by teoreds »

Rhialto wrote:
teoreds wrote:I opened a ticket to QNAP Help Desk and this is the answer

"there is no way to get AC3 to work on the NAS since this has been removed from all firmware due to licensing issue
it is expecting that this will be solved in the future and that this functionallity will be restored but not at this moment"

looks like they are receiving a lot of complaints...
Reply to ticket with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital#License :wink:
i got a reply that they sent this information to R&D, and that tey'll keep me updated
albumman
Easy as a breeze

Post by albumman »

Since they did it with Twonky, it's doubtful they care about the codecs.
TS-212P QTS: 4.3.3.1864 build 20211212
2 x Seagate ST3000VN000 (RAID 1)
FizzNuts

Post by FizzNuts »

They responded to my ticket about some Kodi/XBMC and MediaCenter BS that wasn't supported anymore; not that this had ANYTHING to do with that... not sure why they said that. I replied stating so, and got another response saying they would work with me to refund my money for the cost of the unit. I've had the unit for a year and a half...

WTH QNAP!!! I don't want to replace it.
Jesse

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I am suprised they offered a refund....just sideload kodi..or use an external player
FizzNuts

Post by FizzNuts »

I use Plex on my main PC with the nas as a stupid file server. yay :|
Jesse

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I use twonky on my NAS

with:
Samsung Smart TV (2016 model) (bulitin DLNA)
Compute Stick X5 (KODI 17.3)
Compute Stick m3 (KODI 17.3)
Chinese Android Box [S912 based Octa Core with hardware x265 10 bit support] (KODI 17.3)
Several Android Phones (VLC)

They all work beautiful
FizzNuts

Re: RE: Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by FizzNuts »

Not compatible with 64bit QTS 4.3.x.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Jesse

onehans
Know my way around

Re: RE: Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by onehans »

FizzNuts wrote:
Not compatible with 64bit QTS 4.3.x.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
that why i still hold with update :/
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

Sadly, still now update from QNAP to make it work again until today ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
cristiano77
New here

Post by cristiano77 »

Hi,
For many of us Playing .mkv is probably the MAIN reason for buying a QNAP over other products (at least it was for me). I cant believe this.
Is there anyway to downgrade(1)? Seriously, it worked until a week a go! Ironically, patents expired a month ago. I do not get it. I am confused and disappointed, how do I open a ticket and ask for refund?

(1) is the information here somehow relevant? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=121485
cristiano77
New here

Post by cristiano77 »

Hi,
me again because things got way way worst. My HD station got stuck, qnap remote had not effect, I tried to disable and reinstall the HD station from my PC logging into my qnap, but nothing. I had to manually switch off and on the NAS. After the NAS rebooted i was able to renistalled the hd station and surprise surprise: KODI IS GONE?!?!?!?!
please let me know what to do. Am I the only one who has lost not only AC3 and MKV but also KODI?
QNAP not telling what are the effects of an upgrade (e.g. remove support for certain codec or file) is potentially illegal, is not it?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP kept the removal of KODI and the sound codecs from codex pack very "low key" that is true. Also parting with twonky (and the included license) was shown in the change log but not very prominent

But I doubt that it is illegal, you accepted terms and conditions. Same as with SMART TV's sooner or later Youtube,Netflix and all the other flashy features will cease to work (like on my 2011 LG).

But it is all easy peasy, switch to a different playback device (Android, Windows, etc) and all will work fine.

For 60USD you can get an android box that supports Kodi and plays (up to) 4k (HEVC 10bit) with HDR and Dolby Atmos, all served from the QNAP... it is so easy it's not worth being mad about it
cristiano77
New here

Post by cristiano77 »

dolbyman wrote:QNAP kept the removal of KODI and the sound codecs from codex pack very "low key" that is true. Also parting with twonky (and the included license) was shown in the change log but not very prominent

But I doubt that it is illegal, you accepted terms and conditions. Same as with SMART TV's sooner or later Youtube,Netflix and all the other flashy features will cease to work (like on my 2011 LG).

But it is all easy peasy, switch to a different playback device (Android, Windows, etc) and all will work fine.

For 60USD you can get an android box that supports Kodi and plays (up to) 4k (HEVC 10bit) with HDR and Dolby Atmos, all served from the QNAP... it is so easy it's not worth being mad about it
Thanks dolbyman,
Hope you do not mind if I ask you: minix U9, vero4k or nvidia shield TV?

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”