QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
nasnoob
Getting the hang of things

QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by nasnoob »

The latest updates for qFile/qVideo and CodexPack have removed playback and transcoding support for .mkv files.

Upon reading online it seems this could be due to licencing issues for DTS/AC3 audio.

The updates were listed as 'Enhancing Video Playback Functionality'

How is neutering the playback functionality of the NAS considered an enhancement?????!!!!!!!!!!

Nowhere is it listed why they have decreased the functionality. Does anyone know if they intend to bring it back?? or how to go around it in the interim?

I have seen a posting for an updated CodexPack, whilst this fixes the transcoding issues, it still however does not allow.mkv's to be played in original format using qFile/qVideo.

in anycase very very poor form by QNap :evil:
monellrt
Know my way around

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by monellrt »

I have experienced the same issue. If you find a solution for this I need to know. A lot of users have noticed this issue and have posted it on the different threads but at this point QNAP had not addressed the issue.
fatboycanteen
Starting out

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by fatboycanteen »

one of the reason i bought QNAP is better audio support than Synology, Fantastic works! QNAP
monellrt
Know my way around

Post by monellrt »

Have you put in an "official" ticket with them on this issue yet?
fatboycanteen
Starting out

Post by fatboycanteen »

yes, they are studying.
monellrt
Know my way around

Post by monellrt »

Please keep me posted as to what they say or do.

Thanks
GTunney
Been there, done that

Post by GTunney »

Playback still works via the Qfile iOS app so god knows why they'd remove this from the NAS.

I rarely use the feature as I've got Kodi but it's good for checking out quality of things remotely.
Model: TS-453D 8GB
Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital WD40EFRX - RAID 5
Total Storage: 7.2TB
Applications: Plex | Sonarr | QSabnzbd+ | Radarr | Home Assistant | MQTT/Z2M
Other Devices: Netgear D7000 AC1900 VDSL Router | FTTP - 1014/104 | Netgear GS108 Gigabit Switch
fatboycanteen
Starting out

Post by fatboycanteen »

my testing shown it only works in iOS Qfile HD.
jauaca
New here

Post by jauaca »

Any news about that!? I would be seriously consider selling my qnap if they don't put this back. I use my NAS a lot to watch my movies remotely while I'm away. Know I get the message of incompatible audio. Too bad.

Enviado desde mi Z3 Compact mediante tapatalk
fatboycanteen
Starting out

Post by fatboycanteen »

i got reply from QNAP support
"Qfile didn't support AC3/DTS due to License Issue, if you play the original file on Qfile, it will fail."

Qmusic always crash
Qfile does not support AC3/DTS
Qvideo..it's joke.

now i am using plex, and paying plex app for video and music playback. QNAP just a hardware for me, sigh.
andymyatt
First post

Post by andymyatt »

for me the Qvideo has never worked, i use plex, i paid a one off fee for the app, the cost of one starbucks americano, and its just awesome. plays on my ipad and iphone, just what i need as i travel alot. QNAP should listen to people and put back the .mkv support and DTS/AC3 its a fundemantal these days for watching movies.
fatboycanteen
Starting out

Post by fatboycanteen »

yes, my friends/family also need to pay one off fee for the plex app, they used to use qfile to watch the video. i don't see the point to buy QNAP next time for entertainment purpose, their apps are not quite useful for me right now, just go buy a desktop and install plex server, should be enough.
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

i sue plex too and the hardware is more than capable the issue is with the apps

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
nznebbie
First post

Post by nznebbie »

This one really got me, I decided to upgrade the memory on my NAS and at the same time upgraded the firmware and all software, then bam .mkv not working and along with 99% of all the videos I have on my nas.
Its very rare these days that you can download video that is NOT in .mkv format as it is a good codec for compression, rather annoyed that I upgraded.

Might give plex a try, thanks for that..
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

There are a few different options:

1) install the "fixed" CodexPack 4.2.3D that posted on the board. Then you can tell QVideo to play the file using Transcoding and it will "ignore" the audio issue. For transcoding options, that has the lowest NAS CPU overhead since it leverage Intel Quicksync HW offloading.

2) Skip transcoding all together and use something like Infuse IOS app (have to buy PRO upgrade to get DTS/AC3 playback support) to play the file. Can share locally via SMB, UPNP, etc. and remotely via WEBDAV. No CPU overhead as all playback heavy lifting is happening on IOS device and NAS is truly just a file share. Latest versions added metadata support to be more "Plex like".

3) Use Plex/Emby for playback. Both have good support for transcoding, but since they can't leverage Intel Quicksync HW offloading, place a very high CPU load on the NAS (depending on NAS model).
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”