QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by ITEngineer »

OK, so in this case how do I put some weight into this issue ?

I also wanted to play .MKV files with DTS/AC3 streams on my TVS-471.
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
monellrt
Know my way around

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by monellrt »

Besides putting in your ticket you need to call QNAP directly and speak with the technicians who may light a fire under the front office.
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

monellrt wrote:Besides putting in your ticket you need to call QNAP directly and speak with the technicians who may light a fire under the front office.
Yeah, that's correct.
I will log the ticket anyway and then....

hopefully someone will be putting it into the action this year.
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
monellrt
Know my way around

Post by monellrt »

Don't hold your breath... I have been waiting for something for over a year now and they said that they would work on it.
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

monellrt wrote:Don't hold your breath... I have been waiting for something for over a year now and they said that they would work on it.
:roll: I shouldn't buy TVS-471 last month...
It's quite useless overpriced media storage box sitting in the lounge room.
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
mfromb
New here

Post by mfromb »

1) install the "fixed" CodexPack 4.2.3D that posted on the board.

Could someone kindly enlighten this brand new joiner more precisely on how/where to obtain said CodexPack? Thanks!
iamderek
Starting out

Post by iamderek »

mfromb wrote:1) install the "fixed" CodexPack 4.2.3D that posted on the board.

Could someone kindly enlighten this brand new joiner more precisely on how/where to obtain said CodexPack? Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=121485
FizzNuts
Getting the hang of things

Post by FizzNuts »

Any update on this? I've done the downgrade to 4.2.3D and there was an update to that which brought it to 4.2.7D. MKV file support is still there but am I now using an official qpkg install and update mechanism or is it still the other fixed version?

I guess what I am asking is:
1. Can I safely keep updating or should I stick it out on this 4.2.7D version? I like to stay up to date when possible.
2. Is the latest and greatest official qpkg fixed yet, or is it still neutered and won't support DTS/AC3 mkv streams/transcoding?

Cheers,
Jesse

Model: TS-453A 16GB FW: 4.3.3.0404 Build: 20171213
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS
Media Boxes: XBOX One, Yamaha Aventage Receiver
Dacronic
New here

Post by Dacronic »

Does transcoding offline to mp4 (i guess) solves this issue???
juanca2000
Starting out

Post by juanca2000 »

It is important that all impacted customers open a ticket and make qnap understand how this is totally unaceptable / We have bought and paid a device which was including this feature. License problem should be theirs not ours. !

Once the new codec installed (...... D) does qfile work again for transcoding or we need to do something more. In my case it does work with qvideo but not with qfile. Every time I use qfile it asks me which rate I want (240p 360p etc.. ) but it does not work (it does not seem to start) except I am using the original version (no transcoding) and while video plays ok ,, no sound even with xxxxx D codex version.

Any feedback?
Thanks to all
askaro
New here

Post by askaro »

Will Do. Opening a ticket now. Just read all the back threads.

And yes I went back to the old codec pack and everything is working well.

As an aside I played a 4K mkv and it had tremendous CPU utilization and the temp shot up above 60 degC. Any tips on playing these back while reducing the CPU utilization? I have 3rd and 4th Gen Apple TVs. Any way to offload the work to play these files?

Thanks in advance.
ccolotti
Starting out

Post by ccolotti »

nasnoob wrote:The latest updates for qFile/qVideo and CodexPack have removed playback and transcoding support for .mkv files.

Upon reading online it seems this could be due to licencing issues for DTS/AC3 audio.

The updates were listed as 'Enhancing Video Playback Functionality'

How is neutering the playback functionality of the NAS considered an enhancement?????!!!!!!!!!!

Nowhere is it listed why they have decreased the functionality. Does anyone know if they intend to bring it back?? or how to go around it in the interim?

I have seen a posting for an updated CodexPack, whilst this fixes the transcoding issues, it still however does not allow.mkv's to be played in original format using qFile/qVideo.

in anycase very very poor form by QNap :evil:
What the Flying F!!! All my videos are mkv and I bought this unit to do the hardware transcoding! Are you kidding me?
ccolotti
Starting out

Post by ccolotti »

nasnoob wrote:The latest updates for qFile/qVideo and CodexPack have removed playback and transcoding support for .mkv files.

Upon reading online it seems this could be due to licencing issues for DTS/AC3 audio.

The updates were listed as 'Enhancing Video Playback Functionality'

How is neutering the playback functionality of the NAS considered an enhancement?????!!!!!!!!!!

Nowhere is it listed why they have decreased the functionality. Does anyone know if they intend to bring it back?? or how to go around it in the interim?

I have seen a posting for an updated CodexPack, whilst this fixes the transcoding issues, it still however does not allow.mkv's to be played in original format using qFile/qVideo.

in anycase very very poor form by QNap :evil:
What the Flying F!!! All my videos are mkv and I bought this unit to do the hardware transcoding! Are you kidding me?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you system is fast enough .. you can still have plex do the transcoding .. or just don't transcode and send the original files out
FizzNuts
Getting the hang of things

Post by FizzNuts »

dolbyman wrote:If you system is fast enough .. you can still have plex do the transcoding .. or just don't transcode and send the original files out
Pretty lame that we have to resort to this.
Jesse

Model: TS-453A 16GB FW: 4.3.3.0404 Build: 20171213
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS
Media Boxes: XBOX One, Yamaha Aventage Receiver

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”